Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Review: Shatter Me

Title: Shatter Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Series: Shatter Me #1
Release Date: November 15th, 2011
Number of Pages: 346
Publisher: Harper
Source: Bought
Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.
The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.
Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior. 
In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting as The Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices, Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel.

I was a little scared to read this book, as I had heard so many amazing readers sharing their love for this book and praising its amazingness. I was a little terrified that all the hype would give me higher expectations and will result in this book letting me down. The first few pages left me unsure if I would like it, simply because of the format. I’m not a big fan of this. After two or three chapters, I didn’t realize that she used that anymore.

Tahereh Mafi took a big risk with this book, but it was well executed. Juliette was an amazing character. She was strong and believable. She grows as a character and her evolution is believable. She doesn’t change within a day, but it happens slowly as she learns more about the reality of the world she’s in. I liked how her relation with Adam grows. Nothing feels too rush between both of them. Of course, I can’t forget about the amazing Adam. Wow. I absolutely adore him. I wasn’t always sure what he was thinking through the first chapters of the book, but the more we learn about him, the more amazing we discover he is.

Shatter Me is a dystopian novel, but I have to say that I wouldn’t be that comfortable describing the world the story is set precisely. That’s probably the only thing that I felt was missing. I just wish we could have learn more about what was really going on outside the direct environment of Juliette, but it will probably be presented in the next book, as Juliette will learn more about what is really happening in the world. She, after all, had been locked up for a while.

Tahereh Mafi’s writing was different, but I really enjoyed it. She’s taking some risks and it ‘s paying in my opinion. It may annoy the readers that are a little more purist about the format a novel should be in, but those ready to open their mind to something different will be nicely pleased.  I’m really happy to have finally had time to read this book, one I have devoured in only a couple of hours. A book I would highly recommend.

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad that the book does live up to the hype for the most part. I'm always scared of books surrounded by so much hype as well. Great review!

    Andrea
    Cozy Up With A Good Read

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I have seen this book floating around a lot lately and have heard a lot of good things about it. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the book as well.
    *Kristin*
    Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I'm so excited to read this book, but I'm like you, in that I'm worried it won't live up to the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm soooo excited to read this book. I was going to ask for it for Christmas, but your review makes me want to get it sooner instead. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review!! I really enjoyed Shatter Me too!

    Please check out my 50 followers giveaway too!
    http://forget8me8not.blogspot.com/2011/11/50-followers-giveaway-blood-bound-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really wanting to read this one because, like you, it's been getting a ton of hype, lately, mostly positive. I hope my expectations aren't too high, too!

    I like your review. It's honest and not overly praiseworthy. I think it keeps me from getting my expectations too high up there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed Shatter Me. I'm always wary to read these books that are so hyped, but I thought this book was worth it as well. I agree with your point about the world building, but maybe we will find out more in the sequel.
    Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just started this one and I love how different her writing style is. It's wonderful! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Can't wait to see what I think. :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read it recently and I couldn't agree more with your review.

    ReplyDelete