Thursday, February 02, 2012

Review: The Disenchantments by Nina Lacour

Title: The Disenchantments
Author: Nina Lacour
Series: None
Release Date: February 16th, 2012
Number of Pages: 304
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Source: Won from Razorbill

Colby and Bev have a long-standing pact: graduate, hit the road with Bev's band, and then spend the year wandering around Europe. But moments after the tour kicks off, Bev makes a shocking announcement: she's abandoning their plans - and Colby - to start college in the fall.
But the show must go on and The Disenchantments weave through the Pacific Northwest, playing in small towns and dingy venues, while roadie- Colby struggles to deal with Bev's already-growing distance and the most important question of all: what's next?
Morris Award—finalist Nina LaCour draws together the beauty and influences of music and art to brilliantly capture a group of friends on the brink of the rest of their lives.

I won this book from Razorbill, and I was really excited to read it. I hadn’t read Nina Lacour’s first book, but The Disenchantments sounded like my kind of books. First, I have to say that I did enjoy this book, once I got into it. It took me a while to get into the story, but it was worth it.

The story was fun. We follow Colby and his friends’ band, The Disenchantments, as they tour. That sounds like a great and fun story that will be filled with fun anecdotes of what can happen on tour. Well, Colby is in love with one of the band member, Bev, who’s also his best friends. He’s planning to leave for Europe with her, only to learn once on tour that she will be going to college instead. At first, I wasn’t really interested in the story between those two, simply because I don’t like Bev. I was hoping he would fall for Meg, one of the two sisters, as Meg and Alexia were a lot more fun than Bev. I simply hated the fact that the only thing Bev seemed to be doing was leading Colby on. Still, I got to understand her a little more after a while. That’s when Colby I wanted to punch Colby in the face so he would wake up. He simply was too caught up with Bev to realize that there was much more going. He’s 18! Time to grow up a little, no?

Even though I really liked the road trip, with everything that went on with the four of them, I had one major problem with the book at the end. I was seriously confused with the book. I felt like the story only lasted a week in one sense, but on the other end, it felt like the book covers the entire summer. I’m not sure if it’s just me, or if anyone else felt the same (if you did, please tell me!)

Overall, I did enjoy the novel. It may have taken me a while to get into the story, but by the end, I simply couldn’t put it down. It was a great contemporary, which will probably please its fan.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so looking forward to this book, even though I don't love the cover. Great review.

    Karis @YA Litwit

    ReplyDelete
  2. When participating in this approach vent out, don’t fail to invest in a fabulous recognized two of Tropéziennes flip flops in order to cartier replica a fabulous piece about Tarte Tropézienne, all the skin cream and additionally cloth or sponge white of the fact that locale is normally known just for. Visiting All of the Two derived from one of Remarkable Christmas. Being in position to head to still one example recognized kindoms about speak to your life is mostly a right, still by having a high class vessel rental, much like the your which is available from real estate agents want Yachting Loved ones Essential, now you can see all of the two. A very vessel rental supplier hublot replica you to ultimately arrange an ideal yachting schedule which usually caters to any very really needs and additionally fascinates. Planning for a yachting christmas right away aids you browse best wishes kindoms of the fact that Med has to present, chanel replica handbags located at any just for still huge you intend to. A fabulous vessel rental supplier might also prepare anything else for your needs, from staff to docs, allowing you will unengaged to experience Monaco, E cartier replica sale and additionally Portofino check out page fun. Navigate boasts a awesome recognition within keep an eye on enthusiast in addition to all the novice Navigate can get a point within the dangerous keep an eye on arranged. They are simply cost effective mechanicals, many times in spite a fabulous 99. 9907%accuracy! Still people are talk over technicality down the road; let’s omega replica sale relating to the design and additionally esthetics for right now.

    ReplyDelete