Thursday, February 09, 2012

Review: Fever by Lauren DeStefano


Title: Fever
Author: Lauren DeStefano
Series: Chemical Garden #2
Release Date: February 21st, 2012
Number of Pages: 341
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Source: Publisher
Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind.
Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.
The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.
 In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever.

Wow. First, I have to say that I completely adored the first book, Wither. I absolutely fell in love with the world Lauren DeStefano has created, which is why I was extremely excited to get a copy of Fever from Simon & Schuster Canada. I simply devoured this book once I got it, even though I had exams to study for. The cover of this book, when compare to the first book really represents the story, which I think was really a great bonus. I know many readers didn’t like it, but once you read the book, you understand why it is that way.

I have to say DeStefano didn’t disappoint with the sequel. The book kept me captivated from page one. This sequel gives us a better view of what is happening in the world, outside of the mansion. We see that Rhine actually had it easy in the mansion, as the world is cruel. I don’t want to give too much away, as I would really hate to spoil anyone story. All I can say is that DeStefano did it again: She got me addicted to her writing, to her style and to her story.  

I really enjoyed the new characters. Maddie, Madame, Annabelle and Lilac were nice additions to this series, especially since I’m not a big fan of Gabriel. I find him a little flat (I prefer Linden!) I really enjoyed the interaction between Maddie and Rhine. It brought a little bit of hope to this sequel that is slightly darker than the first book. Madame was creepy, but really added something to everything Rhine was going through. All she had to live made her grow. Rhine became a little less whiny and more mature. I liked her more and more. I can’t wait to see where all of this will influence her choices in book three. I’m already dying to read it.

Fever was an amazing sequel to an excellent debut. It is seriously a must read if you enjoyed Wither. If you haven’t read Wither yet, all I can say to you is: Read it soon!! 

5 comments:

  1. So excited for this one!! I loved Wither.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this one now. And I agree about Gabriel! I did not like him in Wither and I still have not found reasons to like him yet. Awesome review. I can't wait to see what else happens in this book, but I am liking it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been tagged! http://obsessionsofabookaholic.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/lets-play-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good! I really liked Wither, so I can't wait :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought this book was ok.. but I was really satisfied with the third book. So keep going!

    Cleo Rogers Canadian Discount Gift Basket Company

    ReplyDelete