Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Review: Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic


Title: Never Eighteen
Author: Megan Bostic
Series: None
Releases Date: January 17th, 2012
Number of Pages: 204
Publisher: HMH’s Children Books
Source: Bought
I had the dream again. The one where I’m running. I don’t know what from or where to, but I’m scared, terrified really.
Austin Parker is never going to see his eighteenth birthday. At the rate he’s going, he probably won’t even see the end of the year. But in the short time he has left there’s one thing he can do: He can try to help the people he loves live—even though he never will.
It’s probably hopeless.
But he has to try.
Never Eighteen was one of those books that leave me wondering if I loved it or not. The thing is, the idea behind the book is great. I love the fact that it is short, as book about someone who is living his last day can be heavy. Yet, I felt like that book was really light for the theme; maybe it’s only me. I was just expecting a little more than that. I felt like Austin’s feelings about his death were kind of almost non-existent.

I love that Austin is trying to make those around him better, to ease their own burden before he dies.  I also really liked the interaction between Austin and Kaylee. It is so real, so believable. I love Kaylee and her car that never seems to have one name. I love how present she is for Austin.

The writing was spot on. I really liked the way Megan Bostic created the world of this novel. I have to say that Megan Bostic will be on my to-watch list, because I really enjoyed it. She was able to stay light, even with all the emotions packed in this short novel.

Overall, it was a beautiful, funny and heart-breaking story. The only downside for me was that it didn’t go deep enough, which is understandable for such a short novel.

6 comments:

  1. This one has been on my wishlist for a while but seeing that it's so short, I wasn't sure if I should order it or not. It sounds great, though - and now you made me want to find out what her writing style is like :)

    Thanks for the honest review!

    Vicky
    Books, Biscuits & Tea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my blogmate read this and really enjoyed it.

    Sometimes I wish stories were longer so that they'd elaborate more on ideas and characters, and this sounds like one of those books.

    Great review!

    Jenny at Books to the Sky

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's disappointing to hear that this book didn't go deep enough. It sounds like something that would be interesting, but definitely needs to be longer. I'm glad that you still enjoyed it somewhat. I'm not really sure if I'm interested in this book. I'll have to look more into it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The concept of this book intrigues me. I'm disappointed that it did not go that deep. I think I'll probably still read it though. You made the characters sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't think this book displayed as much depth as one might have expected due to the topic. I still cried at the end because the loss is sad but it didn't hit me very hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Each of our Panerai Ferrari 8 Days and nights Duplicate Designer watches are infatuated by simply men and women currently. Throughout 1997, your Richemont Class louis vuitton outlet Panerai Firm along with superior your create by simply making new goods even though using routine cultures involving Panerai Firm along with enhancing their intercontinental realization. Approximately your the latest time, Panerai had been amid various other Swiss watch-making firms that will get the many enjoy pieces, and also moves via many omega replica after which it design and style along with build their unique designer watches. A new Panerai watch is surely an artistic mixture of Italian design and style along with Swiss knowledge; Panerai have been a semi-pro chief in neuro-scientific specialized timing utilizes pertaining to around one hundred forty several years. Throughout 2007 Officine Panerai has taken task to become your louis vuitton handbags sale attract in the Layer Ferrari Ancient Obstacle, case dominant due to the interesting cut-throat surroundings. Distinctive Ferrari vehicles developed until eventually 1982 engage in your champion. Your Layer Ferrari Ancient Obstacle can be tightly in connection with your home involving Maranello. Duplicate Panerai is designed for people who find themselves fervent with regards to longevity along with detail. You will discover lots of rolex replica sale Panerai designer watches in your on-line look. A new Duplicate rolex replica sale enjoy provides the means to acquire Panerai at the fair price tag. Your current Duplicate Panerai is often a brand denoting fashion along with good quality always.

    ReplyDelete