Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Review: Wanderlove by Kristen Hubbard


Title: Wanderlove
Author: Kristen Hubbard
Series: None
Release Date: Marche 13th, 2012
Number of Pages: 352
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Source: NetGalley + Bought copy
It all begins with a stupid question:
Are you a Global Vagabond?
No, but 18-year-old Bria Sandoval wants to be. In a quest for independence, her neglected art, and no-strings-attached hookups, she signs up for a guided tour of Central America—the wrong one. Middle-aged tourists with fanny packs are hardly the key to self-rediscovery. When Bria meets Rowan, devoted backpacker and dive instructor, and his outspokenly humanitarian sister Starling, she seizes the chance to ditch her group and join them off the beaten path.
Bria's a good girl trying to go bad. Rowan's a bad boy trying to stay good. As they travel across a panorama of Mayan villages, remote Belizean islands, and hostels plagued with jungle beasties, they discover what they've got in common: both seek to leave behind the old versions of themselves. And the secret to escaping the past, Rowan’s found, is to keep moving forward.
But Bria comes to realize she can't run forever, no matter what Rowan says. If she ever wants the courage to fall for someone worthwhile, she has to start looking back.
Kirsten Hubbard lends her artistry to this ultimate backpacker novel, weaving her drawings into the text. Her career as a travel writer and her experiences as a real-life vagabond backpacking Central America are deeply seeded in this inspiring story.
Wanderlove has been sitting on my virtual shelf for a while. I can’t really explain why, I just never got around to read it. Now, I have to say I wish I had picked this book earlier. It was simply the perfect book for a girl like me who wish she could spend the rest of her life traveling. I wish I could have had the chance to have a trip like Bria did, as it is probably the best way to travel.

Now, that book left me dreaming, hoping and wishing to get on the next plane for whatever country I can go to. All the places described, the people they met, and the things they did… It all makes you want to be with there so you can experience it yourself.

The characters really worked for me in this novel. I loved how Bria had no idea of what backpacking was really about. She wanted to discover so much, yet was too afraid to really go on to see what she really wanted to see until she meets Starling and Rowan. Starling made me laugh and made me smile. She’s the kind of girl you would love to travel with, because she isn’t afraid to go where no one has been. She was there for her brother, for Bria too once they became friends. Now, she may have played Bria a little so she would end up traveling alone with Rowan, but it was always with the best intention. Now, what can I say about Rowan. There is simply something captivating about him. I really enjoyed him, as he seems so… himself. He didn’t seem fake to me. I thought it balanced well Bria’s personality. The mix of Bria and Rowan really made the novel as addicting as it was.

For me, Kristen Hubbard made a novel that got on ready to drop everything and leave to see the places she had described. I really was captivated by the story and the places she takes us to visit through the novel. And how can I forget about Kristen’s drawings, which add a little something to the novel.

4 comments:

  1. It was an amazing journey. I wanted to go everywhere too. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great read. I have heard of it a few times, and I never knew Kristen added in her own drawings, that's really cool. I don't think I've really read a book that is drawn from a backpacking trip. I'm interested to check this one out, I like that Kristen draws from her own travel experiences for this book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hubbard is an amazingly vivid writer-the places came to life through her skillful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your beauty parlor gas stops pertaining to curly hair, getting brownish naturally, toenails along with natural skin care most call for several chanel replica. Should you be regularly concerned with retaining the beauty beauty parlor shower towels rinsed and also a careful eyesight for the stacks, it’s time for it to extra service. Gucci doesn’t find very much bolder when compared with his or her Tribeca Channel Neck Handbag. In case you’re searching for a head-turning handbag that will garners chanel replica involving attention—and probably obviously any good minor controversy—this will be the Gucci ladies handbag in your case. As well as, in case you’re seeking a thing to present on the ladies handbag collectors' whom by now features anything, your Tribeca creates an incredibly exclusive gift idea. Evoking the chanel replica 60's experience, your centerpiece on this ‘60s-inspired Gucci tote will be the tattoo-like artwork printed through the flap, full of bears, tulips, plus the Gucci brand. The big cardiovascular crest can be impressed in the natural leather beside the planning. Classic Gucci fans might not exactly take hold of this specific unconventionally fashion, except for audacious fashionistas who want to move way up his or her series using chanel replica avant-garde, your Tribeca Gucci ladies handbag magnificently meets your invoice. It’s confident for you to solicit double-takes if you make it for you to dining establishments, outlets, as well as for the particular date out and about. If you search outside of your abnormal insignia, your Tribeca gives a number of desirable design and style aspects indicative of an Gucci ladies handbag: easy, fine-grained natural leather; tough computer hardware; along with thoughtful chanel replica stitching.

    ReplyDelete