Monday, April 30, 2012

Review: Ascend by Amanda Hocking

Ascend by Amanda Hocking
Trylle Trilogy #3
Release Date: April 24th, 2012
Number of Pages: 336
Publisher: St.Martin’s Griffin
Source: Raincoast Books

Wendy Everly is facing an impossible choice. The only way to save the Trylle from their deadliest enemy is by sacrificing herself. If she doesn’t surrender to the Vittra, her people will be thrust into a brutal war against an unbeatable foe. But how can Wendy leave all her friends behind…even if it’s the only way to save them?


The stakes have never been higher, because her kingdom isn’t the only thing she stands to lose. After falling for both Finn and Loki, she’s about to make the ultimate choice…who to love forever. One guy has finally proven to be the love of her life—and now all their lives might be coming to an end. 


Everything has been leading to this moment. The future of her entire world rests in her hands—if she’s ready to fight for it.
If there is one thing I really liked about this novel, it is the world Amanda Hocking had created. Was it my favorite book in the series? No. Why? I simply felt that it was slightly rushed, and that the ending wasn’t fitting to what I was expecting. I was expecting at least one of the main characters to have an unhappy ending. I find it hard to believe that after a war, a marriage, a love triangle, everyone seems happy.

I’m a little on the fence when it comes down to saying if I like Wendy or not in this book. The thing is, on one side, I liked that she is trying to do what is right for her people and that she is trying to do her job as princess and future queen. On the other side, I felt like she was a walking contradiction. One second, she is saying she can’t, and then she does it, then she says something else and do the opposite. That annoyed me. Still, I’m happy with her evolution and the maturity she gained through the three books.

Now, there are other characters that made me feel contradicted. Finn made me mad most of the time, as he is worse than Wendy when it comes down to doing the opposite of what he is saying. I mean, isn’t supposed to stay away? Yet, HE STILL IS THERE! Now, on the other side of the triangle, there is Loki. Loki, that I do like, and grew to like him better than Finn. Why? Loki is ready to fight, to run away with Wendy if she is ready to give him a chance.

If we talk about Wendy’s love life, I can’t not talk about Tove. Why are they FREAKING getting married?? I mean, Wendy isn’t his type, there is no romantic love between those two, and there will never be. I was really disappointed that they did decide to go through with it.

Finally, Elora and Wendy seems to understand each other, and get to share a loving moment together, instead of what we have seen in the first two books. It still left with so many unanswered questions about her, which could be nicely answer in anther short story (Please Amanda? Pretty, pretty please??)

I was expecting a little more, and felt a little cheated that everyone seems to get their happily ever after. I may have felt slightly let down with this third book, but I’m really excited to read more from Amanda Hocking. Overall, as a series, it is really great. I really enjoyed it, and will definitely recommend it to fans of this genre.

1 comment: