Friday, April 27, 2012

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection by Kiera Cass
The Selection #1
Release Date: April 24th, 2012
Number of Pages: 352
Publisher: HarperTeen
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
The Selection had been on my wish list for a while. I was really curious to see the dystopian version of the Bachelor. The idea sounded so good, but I felt like there was something missing for me to absolutely love this novel.

For me, the world was seriously lacking. I wanted more background information. I needed to know what happened, how the caste system really works (I kind of get what caste is what, but it’s mostly guesses. I wish they could have been described a little better.) We get a little bit of history, but it still didn’t feel like enough for me (I like my dystopian to be well explained, especially when it is a series. The first book should give us most of the information.) Then, there’s also the ending factor for me. What the Heck was that ending! You can’t stop there! How could you not tell us who would win (or at least give us the top two or something….)

Now there were a lot of characters in the novel, some we only see once or twice: the girls in the selections. Some were more developed, the ones that were staying the longest, of course. When it comes to main characters, I did really like America at first, as she wanted the man she loved (didn’t matter if he was lower than her) instead of the prince and the crown. That’s one thing I liked about her. Overtime though, I grew tired of the way she was acting with Maxon, and the way she couldn’t seem to make up her mind.

The Prince Maxon was a great “Bachelor”, especially since he really wanted to get to know the girl, listens to them. He wasn’t just there to get an eye candy for his arm. Now, I have to say there was one character that made me go mad most of the time: Aspen. The love triangle with, his comeback really made me want to scream. I didn’t really like Aspen to be honest, so that’s probably why I didn’t want him to be back.

Overall, I did like the novel. I simply didn’t fall in love with it. I wish the book had ended a little farther in the story, instead of so early. I wish we could have known who was the winner of the selection before book two. Still, I definitely read the second book in the series, and will check the TV show if the pilot is picked.

5 comments:

  1. {new follower here}

    I have seen a few reviews on this book and I look forward to reading it sometime in the near future. Thank you for sharing.

    {http://www.justonemorechapter.net}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess this is one of those books where everybody has another opinion :p I have seen some positive reviews, I've read a lot of negative reviews.. I'm really fascinated by it, because I want to know on which side I am.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was a little like that, wondering on which side I would be. I think reading the negative reviews actually helped me enjoy this book, as I knew what to expect about the world, the characters....

      Delete
  3. I've been really looking forward to this book, and after reading your review, I am definitely going to read it, but I'm glad to know what you think about it, just so I know what to expect. I still can't wait to read it. I had no idea it might be a TV show--I'll be watching it if it does!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book was perfect for me as I definitely eat up lite-dystopia. I also loathed Aspen though-once he broke America's heart, I was ready to move on and did not welcome his reintroduction to the story even as I recognize that the love triangle trope is up great importance to YA books.

    ReplyDelete