Monday, March 05, 2012

Review: Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma


Title: Forbidden
Author: Tabitha Suzuma
Release Date: June 28th, 2011
Series: None
Number of Pages: 454
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Source: Bought
She is pretty and talented - sweet sixteen and never been kissed. He is seventeen; gorgeous and on the brink of a bright future. And now they have fallen in love. But... they are brother and sister.
Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives—and the way they understand each other so completely—has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending.
Forbidden was one book I was really curious to read. I had heard so many praises, so many raving reviews that I simply couldn’t wait to finally read it. Yet, the subject left me a little unsure. After having been told numerous times how great it was, I bought it and read it.

The first comparison that came to my mind after reading this book was a car crash. Now, let me explain why. The thing is, the whole incestuous relationship wasn’t’ something I really wanted to know that much about, mostly because it made me feel uncomfortable, yet I couldn’t stop reading until I knew how it would end. I really wanted to know what would happen to Lochan and Maya, as their relationship is considered illegal.

I felt heartbroken by all the struggles they had to face. Yet, I couldn’t shake the awkwardness I felt reading about this incestuous love. I do consider myself open minded, yet all I could think about was the fact that Lochan and Maya were brother and sister. They grew up together. They were so close. I felt like I would have found it easier if they had appeared a little less brother and sister like. It would have me it easier for me to really feel like there relation was right.

This is why I feel like I can't really criticize this novel without feeling that this would weight in the balance. That's why I won't talk about characters and the story. Yes, I hated the mother. Yes, I loved Lochan, Maya and their siblings. 


Still, I have to give it to Tabitha Suzuma. Her book is incredibly well written and it sure made me want to read more of her books. She took such a touchy subject and was able to create a breathtaking novel. Many will enjoy it fully. It simply was too hard for me to get past the strange way it made me feel. I do think it is worth reading though.

1 comment:

  1. Hm, I'm going to have to agree with you, I think this story would make me feel awkward.

    It almost sounds like a V.C. Andrews book.

    Great review!

    Jenny at Books to the Sky

    ReplyDelete