Thursday, March 15, 2012

Review: Starters by Lissa Price


Title: Starters
Author: Lissa Price
Series: Starters #1
Release Date: March 13th, 2012
Number of Pages: 368
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Source: NetGalley + Bought
HER WORLD IS CHANGED FOREVER
Callie lost her parents when the Spore Wars wiped out everyone between the ages of twenty and sixty. She and her little brother, Tyler, go on the run, living as squatters with their friend Michael and fighting off renegades who would kill them for a cookie. Callie's only hope is Prime Destinations, a disturbing place in Beverly Hills run by a mysterious figure known as the Old Man.
He hires teens to rent their bodies to Enders—seniors who want to be young again. Callie, desperate for the money that will keep her, Tyler, and Michael alive, agrees to be a donor. But the neurochip they place in Callie's head malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, and going out with a senator's grandson. It feels almost like a fairy tale, until Callie discovers that her renter intends to do more than party—and that Prime Destinations' plans are more evil than Callie could ever have imagined. . . .
Okay, if I’m honest, I wasn’t sure I would love this novel at first. The cover made me feel like it was a little too science fiction. How wrong was I! This is a dystopian novel that will keep you addicted until the end. I got a review e-copy on NetGalley first, yet I never got around to reading it. When I went to Indigo a few days ago, I saw it and thought I should probably buy it if I want to finally read it. I started right away and I couldn’t put it down until I was done.

The world Lissa Price created was amazing. Yet, there were a couple of things that left me wondering. I didn’t really get why everyone between 20 and 60 died from the “Spore Wars”. The history behind everything that is going on was lacking for me. I wanted to no more.

Still, the story was full of twits, which were enough to get me captivated from page one. I really enjoyed following Callie as a narrator. I felt like she was doing things for the right reasons. She was putting her freedom on the line to save her brother. Helena grew on me, as I understood the reasons behind her plan. She was, after all, trying to protect people. Some other characters made a great impression on me. I really liked Sarah. I wish we could have seen her a little more, but she really made a difference, in my opinion, during the few moments she was present. Michael, on the other end, didn’t really impress me. I just thought his role would be different at first. He ended up being in the background most of the time.

Overall, I really enjoyed this novel. I simply can’t wait to read more, and also learn what will happen with the final twist that really got me begging for more. 

2 comments:

  1. That was the one thing I loved about this story, was that everything Callie did was not for her but to keep her brother safe. I felt that it was different. The twists kept me interested, and kept me thinking about the book after I finished it (especially that one at the end!) Great review, glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one from NetGalley, it's been sitting on my Kindle! I will be sure to pick it up next. I'm kind of weary about it, but after your review, I'm hoping it will be really good. Awesome review! =)

    ReplyDelete