Saturday, July 23, 2011

Review: Dead Rules


Title: Dead Rules
Author: Randy Russell
Release Date: June 21st, 2011
Series: None
Number of Pages: 384
Publisher: Harper Teen
Source: Bought
-
Till death
Jana Webster and Michael Haynes were in love. They were destined to be together forever.
Do
But Jana's destiny was fatally flawed. And now she's in Dead School, where Mars Dreamcote lurks in the back of the classroom, with his beguiling blue eyes, mysterious smile, and irresistibly warm touch.
Us
Michael and Jana were incomplete without each other. There was no room for Mars in Jana's life—or death—story. Jana was sure Michael would rush to her side soon.
Part
But things aren't going according to Jana's plan. So Jana decides to do whatever it takes to make her dreams come true—no matter what rules she has to break.
-

At first, I didn’t know what to expect of this book. Jana annoyed me from the start, with her obsession over her boyfriend. It’s one of the things that made me regret picking this book. Yet, the story really got me in, because it didn’t glamorize this obsession. She wants him to join her in deaths, yet it isn’t as easy as she may want. The story made me laugh and smile by moment. The story presents life in a nice way, without making it appealing to the reader. It presents the outcome of those who died: Those who killed themselves have no control of their mind. Than, it also gives you a little moral, as they all seemed to have died doing something they shouldn’t have done (well, except Jana who died in a bowling accident….)

When it comes to the characters, I must say that Mars really saved them for me. I liiiiike him. There's just something bad and sweet about him. What more could you really ask. Of course, Wyatt was a fun character too. He made me laugh so much. He just doesn’t seem to care most of the time. Then, there’s Jana.  There was something annoying about her, because she was so obsessed with Michael. She didn’t want to see or hear the wrong about him. She just wanted to be with him again, because she’s “nothing without him”. To be honest, this kind of obsession gets easily on my nerves, which is why I didn’t really like her. Michael was the kind of guy I simply wanted to kick. He was a jerk, and I’m still being nice. If I ever date a guy like him, I’ll give him a hard time that’s for sure.

I enjoyed the book, even though the main character annoyed me. It’s a great book for those who like a good happy ghost story, because it presents ghost in a slightly different way. At least, it’s not presenting them like some evil creature!


2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what to make of this book! The cover scares me, I'm a bit worried that's I'd find te MC annoying too but the plot sounds really interesting! I think I'll wait until I see more reviews of it.

    (New Follower)
    ComaCalm's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cover for this book! :3 The plot sounds interesting, but I personally can't read a book with a annoying MC. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete