Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Review: On A Dark Wing

Title: On a Dark Wing
Author: Jordan Dane
Series: None
Release Date: December 27th, 2011
Number of Pages: 384
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Source: NetGalley
"The choices I had made led to the moment when fate took over. I would learn a lesson I wasn’t prepared for.
And Death would be my willing teacher."
Five years ago Abbey Chandler cheated Death. She survived a horrific car accident, but her lucky break came at the expense of her mother’s life and changed everything. After she crossed paths with Death—by taking the hand of an ethereal boy made of clouds and sky—she would never be normal again.
Now she’s the target of Death’s Ravens and an innocent boy’s life is on the line. When Nate Holden—Abbey’s secret crush—starts to climb Alaska’s Denali, the Angel of Death is with him because of her.
Abbey finds out the hard way that Death never forgets.
If there is one thing that I really like about Jordan Dane’s books, it’s the writing.  When I first read about this book, I was quite curious. The synopsis wasn’t that clear about what would happen in the book. Well, the same thing happened with the book at first. I wasn’t too sure what was going on at first, and I was slightly confused. Still, I kept on reading because I thought it was worth it. The writing kept me reading it (even if there are sometime expression that really made me a little skeptic (Stunned male silence? Do people really use that?), but I’m really happy I kept reading.

Abbey lost her mother five years ago, and she clearly still feels guilty about it. I could understand that, because I think that when you lose someone you are really close to, you often think that there is something you could have changed so that she could have lived. Abbey felt like she should have been the one to die that day. All this complexity in the character is one of the reasons I liked Abbey. Well, it certainly wasn’t because of her huge crush on Nate Holden. When it comes to him, she was a little clueless.

Nate was also a great character. At first, I thought he would come up a little full of himself (after all, he is describe like the kind of guys that would have everything he wants, which often makes them a little full of themselves…), but I really liked the few scenes we have of him interacting with his sister. Tanner was really great with Abbey. He is everything a girl could ask in a friend, which makes me really hope that something good would happen to him.

This book was really creepier than I expected. At first, I thought it was more a mixed of love and grief story, but it was more than that. We see a version of Death that is quite creepy, and it is Death, which should already be a little creepy.

The story may be a little slow, but I believe it is worth reading. It was a great story that will keep you guessing what will happen. 


I'm part of the Book Tour for this book, so if you want to enter for the Tour Giveaway, go HERE!

7 comments:

  1. got it on netgalley too but haven't started it yet....lovely review.....book looks worth checking

    Aparajita @Le' Grande COdex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining the tour and for a great review. I'm a huge Tanner fan. I loved that I was able to see it from his perspective. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. Thanks so much for being part of my tour & for what you do to encourage reading through your blog. You're awesome. Happy holidays!

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your review. I'm glad you decided to finish the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it's in Malaysia already! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, I saw this book and I was interested but I also thought the synopsis didn't give much, so now I will totally check this book out. New follower so come follow me at bookreaper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The premise of the book looks really engaging, so I might have to check it out. Thanks for the great and honest review.

    Since my husband has -- FINALLY -- started The Sandman series by Neil Gaiman, the bit about the Ravens made me think of Dream and Matthew ^_____^

    sinn @ sinnful books

    ReplyDelete