Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #1
Release Date: January 3rd 2012
Number of Pages: 387
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Source: NetGalley
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
In this thrilling debut young adult novel, the first of a quartet, Marissa Meyer introduces readers to an unforgettable heroine and a masterfully crafted new world that’s enthralling.

Wow. That was an amazing book. It was simply addicting and captivating. This Cinderella retelling was simply really well done. I really like how Marissa Meyer included the futuristic aspect, the androids and cyborg in the story. This is one book you can easily read in one sitting. It was that good. It was such an original idea for a retelling! Yes, I guessed some of the twists before they were actually revealed, but I still really enjoyed this novel.

Yes, there are still a couple of things I wish could have been explained a little more, but this is the first novel of the series. More information will probably be given to us in the sequels.

I really liked the characters. Cinder was a really great character. She was strong and she was interesting. She was also realistic, and she was able to judge how bad the situation was getting. She knew she had to do something if she could. That’s something I really like in a main character. I really like when a female character doesn’t simply play the damsel in distress. Still, I have to say I really really liked Prince Kai. I don’t know why, but I really liked him as a character. She was just down to earth for a Prince. I love how he interacts with Cinder. I really can’t wait to see more of those two.

This is the kind of book that will leave you begging for more. I’m already dying to read the sequel. This is simply an amazing retelling that respects the main idea of Cinderella with a twist that I would never have imagined. Seriously, who could have thought of that!

1 comment:

  1. I <3 Cinder. One of the best books I've read in awhile.

    ReplyDelete