Thursday, January 05, 2012

Review: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Title: Under the Never Sky
Author: Veronica Rossi
Series: Under the Never Sky #1
Release Date: January 3rd 2012
Number of Pages: 400
Publisher: HarperCollins
Source: NetGalley
Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction.
As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions.
They come together reluctantly, for Aria must depend on Perry, whom she considers a barbarian, to help her get back to Reverie, while Perry needs Aria to help unravel the mystery of his beloved nephew’s abduction by the Dwellers. Together they embark on a journey challenged as much by their prejudices as by encounters with cannibals and wolves. But to their surprise, Aria and Perry forge an unlikely love - one that will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY.
This book was a nice surprised. Not that I wasn’t expecting it to be really great. It was simply amazing. I love the world Veronica Rossi created. It was simply well done, and it was extremely interesting. I love how she gave us enough information for us to really imagine this fully and to understand what is going on. The only thing I hope we’ll learn a little in the next books is how the world ended up like this. I also love how we got to see both sides and that we got to learn a little about both points of view. Aria is from the opposite world of Perry, which made their interaction so much more interesting.

The novel was addicting. The story was captivating and the relations between the characters were believable. I really enjoyed both Aria and Perry. They were both strong and stubborn, which made the interaction between those two quite interesting. They both have different goals, but they know they won’t be able to reach it without the other. Aria wants to get back in her world, where Perry wants to save his nephew. One thing about the nephew that I really liked is whom Perry acted with him. I loved seeing that side of him.

This novel was a great dystopian that will probably please those who enjoy that genre. The complexity of the world may make it a little hard to get into the story at first, for those not used to read those kind of books, but after a few chapters, you’ll probably be hooked. I can’t wait to read more about this world, about Aria and of course Perry.





Where to find the author:
Twitter: @v_rossibooks

Where to buy the book:

5 comments:

  1. I did really enjoy the conflict between the two personalities as they negotiated to each reach their goals and then the shift in the balance as they actually got to know each other...and more. I also really liked the ending which sort of ties things up but leads to the next story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh I loved this book!! My review went up today haha, but it was definitely an amazing read!! I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did :)

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so badly want to read this book- I love dystopian novels, and I keep reading good things about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That kind of togetherness is bound to create a deep connection, despite (or possibly because of) the odds stacked against them. I felt like their trust in each other had a long way to develop from their first meeting and there wasn't a *BAM* we're in love moment--it was a gradual realization of feelings that just sort of developed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY I totally loved this book too! I got to meet Veronica Rossi and it was so interesting to listen to her speak and give some insight to her book.

    I definitely can't wait for the next one either!

    Marlene Detierro (Merchant Cash Advance)

    ReplyDelete