Thursday, June 14, 2012

Review: In Too Deep by Amanda Grace


In Too Deep by Amanda Grace
Release Date: February 8th, 2012
Number of Pages: 228
Publisher: Flux
Source: Bought 
From the author of "But I Love Him" comes a haunting novel about what happens to one teenage girl when a rumor of rape goes around her school. A Junior Library Guild Selection. 
There are books you love, there are book you don’t. It’s that easy. In the case of In Too Deep by Amanda Grace, I sadly didn’t like it. The book was short, too short in my opinion for all she tried to cover with the book. You have the main story, which is already kind of big, and you have to story with her father. The problem I had with the father part is that it felt a little disconnected of the book, like it was an unnecessary addition to the book.

Another thing that really hit me while I was reading this book was how little I believed the story. I just couldn’t believe that she didn’t realize what she was doing, and how she was destroying Carter’s life. He may have been a jerk, but no one deserves to get their life destroyed by someone’s lies.

The lies were one of the reasons why I really dislike Sam. I wanted to scream to her to wake the heck up for about 95% of the book. I also felt like we didn’t get to know enough about the characters. I wish the author could have gone deeper in the character. Maybe it would have felt more believable to me if she had done that. I do have to say that I really liked Nick as a character. It was one of the only characters that felt really interesting.

I do have to say that overall, I wish there had been more to the book than we got. There was something definitely missing from the book for me to really enjoy this book. If there’s one thing that I did like about the book is the ending. I thing Sam got what she deserved, and that it ended the way it should have ended. I do think many readers will enjoy it. It simply wasn’t right for me.

4 comments:

  1. I`m sorry you didn`t like this one. I have read `But I Love Him`by her and I thought that also was to short and the story was unbelievable. I guess that happens. Thanks for the review.

    Sara @ Just Another Story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say that I prefer But I Love him. Still, not everyone will like the same books. Hopefully, many will find it amazing.

      Delete
  2. What a shame that you didn't like this one. I think I'll leave this one unread. I have so many books waiting for me, I don't want to spoil my time, because based on your review, I don't think I'd like it. Annoying main character is a no-go for me, so thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I personally don't always mind annoying characters, but Sam was annoying and she was destroying someone's life. That made it really hard for me to find anything good about her.

      Delete