Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Review: Nevermore by Kelly Creagh


Nevermore by Kelly Creagh
Nevermore #1
Release Date: August 31st, 2010
Number of Pages: 543
Publisher: Atheneum
Source: Bought 
Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look. Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. 
Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life. As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind.
Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares. His life depends on it. 
I ended picking this book after receiving the sequel for review. I had heard some many great things about this book that it scared me a little to start it. Will I enjoy it as much as everyone else did? Will I be captivated by the world Kelly Creagh created? Well, the answer is easy: I did! I didn’t expect to be caught in the story as much as I did. I ended up reading it in one sitting, spending most of the day simply reading it, the hours passing not mattering. Luckily, I didn’t start it before going to bed. I may have spent an other sleepless night.

Now, Varen and Isobel are really two complete opposite. One is the popular cheerleader, the other the Goth boy. Isobel grew on me, as I didn’t like her at first. She seemed slightly superficial to me, but I did like her interaction with Varen, especially once she starts getting to know him. On the other, Isobel’s friends (or rather old friends) were kind of jerks. I mean, She’s stuck with someone for a school project, and they blame him? It’s not like it’s his fault. Brad is far from a good boyfriend. He’s an ass, to both her and most people he disagree with. The things he and Mark did to Varen were mean. Nikki kind of annoyed me at some point, especially at the beginning. Shouldn’t you take your best friend’s side instead of her boyfriend?

The Poe’s aspect of the book was quite interesting. I really enjoy having piece of his work in the book. After all, Edgar Allen Poe was a master of what he did. It was well incorporate into the story, first from in their assignment, then in the dark world Isobel is taken into. I really enjoy the mix of all the elements Kelly Creagh brought in the novel; you got some school drama, a little romance, some ‘monsters’ and many other things. It’s the mix of all those things that made the novel that captivating to me.

I’m already excited to start the sequel, Enshadowed, which comes out in August! Have you guys read this one yet? Are you excited for the sequel?

3 comments:

  1. The popular kids were such jerks; it was hard to understand what Isobel had seen in Brad when he was so mean. I'm pretty excited about the sequel-I've heard some good things already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I really can't understand why Isobel never realized how much of a jerk Brad was.

      Delete
  2. I love this book so much....it is one of my favourites.

    fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete