Thursday, August 11, 2011

Revew: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children


Title: Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
Author: Ransom Riggs
Series: None
Release Date: June 7th, 2011
Number of Pages: 348
Publisher: Quirk Publishing
Source: Bought

A mysterious island.
An abandoned orphanage.
A strange collection of very curious photographs.
It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.
A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

I had hoped to love this book. I was fascinated by it at first, as I love the idea of incorporating the pictures in the story. Yet, I couldn’t get into the story. As interesting, original and well written it was, it didn’t captivate my interest.

The thing is, I felt like it was a heavy read, that I would have probably enjoyed more during the winter. I always get the feeling that summer is for lighter read to enjoy in the sun.

I didn’t fall in love with any characters. Jacob was okay, I liked him best, but there was simply something missing in him for me to completely love him as a character. His parents seriously annoyed me, but I wished we could have seen and learned more about the grandfather. I was curious about him. Yes, we do learn a little through the book, but I wanted to see him in action a little more. We only hear what others can tell us about him. Emma really got on my nerves. I hated that she was in love with the grandfather, and after she’s after his grandson. A little creepy, no?

Another thing I wish we could have learned a little more about are the other peculiar children. I wanted to know more about where they were from, about what made them peculiar.

I really was hoping for more information. There are so many questions left unanswered for me. I was also curious to know if there was supposed to be a sequel, because the ending does leave an opening for that. Yet, I can’t find out for sure… If you know, tell me! 

4 comments:

  1. Hm, sorry it didn't live up. :( We loved the book trailer (and the making of the book trailer, for that matter!) so we're definitely planning to check this out, but it's good to have a better idea of what to expect. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't love this either. I really wanted to, but it just didn't work for me. I felt generous giving it three stars...

    http://yalitwit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been curious about this one - I was intrigued by the cover and synopsis. I'd still like to try it, but I think I'll take your advice and wait for winter if it's a heavy read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad you didn't like this book more. Bummer!

    Also, I’m a new follower—wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete