Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Review: Exile


Title: Exile
Author: Rebecca Lim
Release Date: April 28th, 2011
Series: Mercy #2
Number of Pages: 289
Publisher: Harper Collins
Source: Bought
An electric combination of angels, mystery and romance, EXILE is the breathtaking sequel to MERCY in a major new paranormal romance series.
Mercy’s search continues ...
Mercy is an angel with a shattered memory, exiled from heaven for a crime she can’t remember committing.
So when she ‘wakes’ inside the body and life of eighteen-year-old Lela Neill, Mercy has only limited recall of her past life. Her strongest memories are of Ryan, the mortal boy who’d begun to fall for her – and she for him.
Mercy soon discovers that circumstances have forced Lela into waitressing at the Green Lantern, a busy city café frequented by suits, cab drivers, strippers, backpackers and the homeless, while caring for her terminally ill mother.
Just as Mercy is adjusting to Lela’s life, her beloved, Luc, reappears in her dreams, and she begins to glimpse her true nature and true feelings for Ryan. What she does not know is that her attempts to contact Ryan may have explosive consequences for everyone around her.
Meanwhile, ‘the Eight’ — the angelic beings responsible for her banishment — remain determined to keep Mercy and Luc apart, forever …
I’m really enjoying this series.  Because I enjoyed it, I was excited to read Exile. The thing is, event though I enjoyed it, I didn’t love it.

I couldn’t connect with Mercy in this one. One of the thing I enjoyed in the first was how selfless. She was trying to really trying to help people. Yet, in Exile, she is thinking more of herself than anything.

The other thing is how she presented Sulaiman and his religion. I felt like there were too many mistakes in how she presented his religion. (Since when do they talk while praying? Seriously?) They were so many stereotypes used through this book. As much as I wanted to love it, all those stereotypes got on my nerves.

Mercy ended up annoying me in this book. I don’t understand how she cannot realize how bad Luc is. Come on, what can Luc be a nickname for. It is kind of obvious. Plus, I hate that she seems able to just ignore the reason she is placed in Lena’s body. She doesn’t do much to help her. She is just obsessing with Luc and finding Ryan because of Luc.

One character I liked was Ryan in Mercy. I’m really sad that he isn’t more present. Okay, I don’t like the fact that he would be ready to give up everything for her when all she is thinking about is how Ryan will get her closer to Luc. Meh. Come on Mercy, can you remember one of he only great thing about your own life?

I enjoyed the writing, maybe a little less than in the first book, but it is still an enjoyable read, once you go past all the stereotypes used. 

1 comment:

  1. Drat-I loved Mercy and was so looking forward to Exile. However I was worried it wouldn't be able to live up to my expectations and it sure sounds like it won't. However I will probably give it a try just to experience it for myself.

    ReplyDelete