Thursday, August 25, 2011

Review: Bloodlines


Title: Bloodlines
Author: Richelle Mead
Release Date: August 23rd, 2011
Series: Bloodlines #1
Number of Pages: 421
Publisher: RazorBill
Source: Bought
The first book in Richelle Mead's brand-new teen fiction series - set in the same world as Vampire Academy.
 
When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning.
 
Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood.
I was both excited and nervous about reading this book. Why? Simply because I adore the Vampire Academy series, and I wasn’t sure if I would have loved it as much. It may be the same world, but this series isn’t about Rose. And I absolutely loved Rose. Even if Sydney is no Rose, she was fun to follow.

Okay, I was totally team Dimitri in the Vampire Academy, but I was falling more and more for Adrian with every page I read. He was just so witty, funny, arrogant, sarcastic and loveable. Sigh. I now officially adore him too.

Sydney is a great narrator, even if she sometime sounded like a mom to the others. Still, I could identify with her, with her fear of not being good enough, of failing her assignment. She is struggling with the belief she has grown up with (the facts that moroi and dhamphir are evil) and what she is learning by actually spending time with them. Her biggest flaw is probably that she has zero social skills, which is understandable, having been home schooled and having been around mostly other Alchemists.

I liked how Jill really felt like a little sister at some points. After all, Sydney wanted to protect hers by doing this mission, and I think it made being with Jill easier. Many things Jill told Sydney reminded me of the few moments we saw Zoe.

I love how Richelle Mead keeps you guessing. You simply can’t trust any characters! They always end up surprising you, either in a good or bad way. She’s a master at creating beautifully captivating story. For those of you how loved Vampire Academy and are looking for more, you have it here. Yet, be aware, it isn’t Vampire Academy part two. It mainly about Sydney, Adrian, Jill and Eddie, with a couple appearances of characters we know.

Of course, Richelle Mead leave us begging for more. What kind of end is this?!? This last sentence is simply cruel. It makes the way for The Golden Lily extremely long and cruel.

1 comment:

  1. I've been a bit nervous about reading this one too - VA is one of my favourite vampire series! Glad you ended up really enjoying it - I was team Dimitri as well, but can't wait to read more about Adrian! Great review :).

    ReplyDelete