Thursday, May 24, 2012

Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks
Of Poseidon #1
Release Date: May 22nd, 2012
Number of Pages: 324
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Source: Raincoast Books

Galen, a Syrena prince, searches land for a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. It’s while Emma is on vacation at the beach that she meets Galen. Although their connection is immediate and powerful, Galen's not fully convinced that Emma's the one he's been looking for. That is, until a deadly encounter with a shark proves that Emma and her Gift may be the only thing that can save his kingdom. He needs her help--no matter what the risk.

I had been curious about this book since I had first seen it online. It sounded intriguing. I was really satisfied with the book. It was simply addicting. I ended up reading it in a matter of hours. It was funny, cute and addicting.

Of course, the book isn’t perfect. I didn’t really like Emma’s best friend, and I wasn’t really sure about her being killed off so soon. I could have lived without that part. The insta-love also could be a little off-putting at first, but it didn’t take long for me to forget about the fact that they met not long ago.

When it comes down to Galen and Emma, there were things I liked, and things that did annoy me. I liked that she seemed to challenge Galen. On the other end, she seemed to think he was only using her. She seemed to have trouble giving him a chance to show her otherwise. I didn’t liked that Galen seemed to be always ordering her around, but I understood why she acted that way. He is a Prince after all. The other characters were also enjoyable, even if I was slightly annoyed at Rayna for playing so hard to get. I really liked Toraf though. There was something so fun about him.

The story really hooked me from the beginning. It was swoon worthy, captivating and addicting. It left me wanting more. The ending left me wondering what would happen next. The world of the Syrena was really interesting, and I liked that we were given enough information about them. I may still have unanswered questions, which I hope will be answered in the next book. I really appreciated the changing point of view. The fact that Emma’s point of view was in the first person and Galen’s was in the third person made it easier to know whose point of view I was reading.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It was interesting and I was happy with it. It made me smile and laugh. It is a great read for the summer. I can’t wait to get my hands on the sequel.

4 comments:

  1. A great summer read with a smile and a laugh: that sounds great! :D Thanks for the nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was definitely a great read! I had a few issues with the book as well. It was weird that they killed off her best friend so early on, I wasn't sure about that part. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that when her bff died I literally laughed out loud. Not because she died, but because Emma was yelling at the shark. I was like "HA... oh no don't laugh this is sad" :O Anyways, I definitely enjoyed it but I agree that there were some issues. Either way, it was definitely a good read :)

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to read this for a long time. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete