Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Review: Innocent Darkness by Suzanne Lazear

Title: Innocent Darkness by Suzanne Lazear
The Aether Chronicles #1
Release Date: August 7th, 2012
Number of Pages: 408
Publisher: Flux
Source: ARC from BEA
Wish. Love. Desire. Live. Sixteen-year-old Noli Braddock's hoyden ways land her in an abusive reform school far from home. On mid-summer's eve she wishes to be anyplace but that dreadful school. A mysterious man from the Realm of Faerie rescues her and brings her to the Otherworld, only to reveal that she must be sacrificed, otherwise, the entire Otherworld civilization will perish. 
Was I the only one disappointed with this book? I mean, it wasn’t that bad, it just wasn’t what I had expected. The thing is, I was expecting a real Steampunk novel, but instead, I found that it was more a faerie book with a touch of Steampunk (which we mostly see at the beginning. Most of the book is spent in the fairy world…) I would probably have enjoyed it more if I had been sold this book as a fairy book, but I was sold to it because it was Steampunk, and I LOVE a good Steampunk. This probably is the main reason why I was disappointed with Innocent Darkness.

When it comes down to the characters, I have to say that I liked them, but none of them really blew my mind. Noli wasn’t a bad main character. I just couldn’t connect with her at all. She wasn’t the most interesting character in the book. I found Charlotte to be a lot more enjoyable to follow, even if we didn’t her that much in through the book. Noli simply was too much of a contradiction to me. She just seems to be against the way society treats women (like she can’t drive), but seems so shock of a sleeveless dress so shock of her feeling for V. Other than that, the characters didn’t really leave any long lasting memory of them. I just wish we could have seen Charlotte some more.

Now, I’m quite curious to read more from Suzanne Lazear, even if I didn’t love this book. I feel like I could have enjoyed this book a lot more if I had known what it was really about. The feeling I was left with once I finished this book was that I was cheated, since it was so different from what I had been promised (Okay, I hadn’t completely read the summary of the book, since I often skip that NOT to have some kind of opinion on the book already, but, everything pointed to a Steampunk novel. You can’t blame the girl for being disappointed for that. I just didn’t get as much Steampunk elements as I felt I should have been given. 

3 comments:

  1. cool review but i will skip this one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally,the watch on the wrist tells added about the buyer if compared to rolex replica All the girls who are cutting rolex watches broad should be adored with beatitude and acceptable luck.other accessories such as shoes,jewelries,pants and abounding more.Artist watch is absolutely something that can calmly bolt people's attention.However,Panerai watches are comfortable burning in the bazaar with all priced the top replica watches prices In adjustment to amuse their vanity,abounding men who can't acquiesce to accurate rolex watches generally buy ROLEX REPLICA WATCHES at affordable pricewhich are far above the blow of abounding people.Currently the aggregation has an aperture all over the World,LV symbolises class,accepted and elegance.The above crisis faced by louis vuitton replica the aggregation is counterfeiting,alone 1% of the Louis Vuitton articles are authentic.The brand is getting acclimated about by bargain backpack companies that accomplish affected Louis Vuitton handbags and added accessories.Artist handbags that are in trend for the division are accessible at gucci replica ebay and added online outlets; they accommodate acceptable account with able shipment facilities.The barter can adjustment for Louis vuitton handbags online and the online casework accord acceptable service.Replica Louis Vuitton accoutrements are aswell accessible at a lot bottom amount with out compromising on the superior of the item.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quality natural leather essentials luggage last a long time along with, in case dealt with effectively, search greater towards the end when compared with the start of your health jointly. hublot replica Merely natural leather features this specific function, increasing somebody patina through the means it can be applied along with taken care of, replica burberry handbags and also a handbag supplies the most significant canvas what is the best that will prosperous splendor might be viewable. The grade of natural leather take a trip luggage along with strolleys can vary massively. fake prada There exists a thing regarding the luxuriousness involving natural leather that will can’t always be rivaled by simply various other fake resources. gucci replica Your current getting electrical power along with willing eyesight gives you your border in relation to deciding on cool along with classy luggage for ones trips worldwide. fake louis vuitton bags One of several scorching offering goods available will be the strolleys. They have got taken off your ache practically involving packing hefty fecal material essentials throughout air-ports, routes and also other spots involving drive.

    ReplyDelete