Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Review: Send by Patty Blount

Send by Patty Blount
Release Date: August 1st, 2012
Number of Pages: 291
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Source: NetGalley
To keep his secrets, all he has to do is listen to the voice in his head and just walk away...
 On his first day at his new high school, Dan stops a bully from beating up a kid half his size. He didn't want to get involved. All he wants out of his senior year is to fly under the radar. But Dan knows what it's like to be terrorized by a bully-he used to be one. Now the whole school thinks he's some kind of hero, except Julie Murphy, the prettiest girl on campus. She looks at him like she knows he has a secret. Like she knows his name isn't really Daniel.
Send was one of those books I didn’t really know much about before starting it. I had seen it on NetGalley, and found it to sound interesting. Yet, by the time I was approved, I had completely forgotten about it. Still, if there is one thing I can say for sure, it’s that I’m really happy I requested it, because it was really worth reading. It was a breathtaking story that will remind many of the impact one mistakes can have on one’s future and entourage.

If there’s one thing for sure, it’s that Patty Blount really knows how to portray the human complexity. I was amazed that she could show so easily that the world is far from being black and white. She proves through Dan, and also through Julie in some way, that people can’t be define by one mistake. Dan did one stupid thing; one thing that will be on is conscience forever. His mistake pushed one young teenager to far. It gave him the last push to kill himself. Our first reaction when we hear about a teen killing himself is to look for someone to blame. Here, Dan was the one everyone decided to blame, because he took one picture, and decided to send it to everyone. One small mistake he will regret all his life. One mistake that will mark him in the eyes of many as a murderer.

I absolutely loved the growing relationship between Julie and Dan. I love seeing them learn to know each other, learn to trust someone else. I also love to see Dan deal with his past, with Kenny still present in his mind. It shows how you can’t run from your past; you can’t run from his mistakes.

Overall, I have to say that I really loved this book. It was an amazing and captivating tale of a teenager learning to live with his mistake, learning from them. This is a book I would definitely recommend to fan of this kind of gripping contemporary novel. This is a book that will definitely stay on your mind after you put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment