Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Review: The Magnolia League

Title: The Magnolia League
Author: Katie Crouch
Release Date: May 3rd, 2011
Series: The Magnolia League #1
Number of Pages: 368
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Source: NetGalley
-
After the death of her free-spirited mother, sixteen-year-old Alex Lee must leave her home in northern California to live with her wealthy grandmother in Savannah, Georgia. By birth, Alex is a rightful, if unwilling, member of the Magnolia League, Savannah's long-standing debutante society. She quickly discovers that the Magnolias have made a pact with a legendary hoodoo family, the Buzzards. The Magnolias enjoy youth, beauty and power. But at what price?

As in her popular adult novels, Crouch's poignant and humorous voice shines in this seductively atmospheric story about girls growing up in a magical Southern city.
-

I was really hoping to enjoy this book. I was really intrigued by the story and the cover, but I just couldn’t get into the book at first. After a while, I ended liking it, but I was disappointed that I didn’t love it.

The story was slow to start, and I just felt like something wasn’t for me. Yet, I can’t really say what exactly. I just couldn’t believe the story. There was simply something that didn’t work for me. Yet I really want to know what will happen next, because the ending left me wondering about what will happen next. The ending was okay, but it didn’t blow me away. There are still a lot of things left unsaid. I can’t wait to discover them.

The characters were too cliché at first, but after a while, I learn to like them. Alex just annoyed me at first. There was something about her that made me cringe. Maybe it is the way she changed her belief quite fast. She is all about the environment and helping the other, but she becomes one of the superficial girl really soon. After a while, you get used to who she is, and I was able to enjoy her story a little. Hayes and Madison were fun characters for me. I liked Hayes, but I find her sometimes just too nice. I felt like she was fake. Madison was simply amazing. She felt real. She was a bitch most of the time, but I liked that she didn’t try to play the friend to Alex imply because she was supposed to. She doesn’t like her at first, and she won’t pretend.

I enjoy Crouch’s writing. It was fun, and I like how she tells the story. I can’t wait to read more books from her.

I would give it a 3/5, because there was something that annoyed me. I felt like it took me a while to really get into the story.

3 comments:

  1. This one sounds really interesting. I've got it on my TBR list. Thanks for the honest review! A lot of what you pointed out are pet peeves of mine lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't seem to finish it. Too many product placement and it is just dull to me. I might continue because you said it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know if she has written books for adults? I think I have read some of her books.

    Check out/follow my new blog at http://ya100words.blogspot.com/

    YA Lit Reviews in 100 words or Less and songs to ready by

    ReplyDelete