Saturday, May 14, 2011

Review: Wings

Title: Wings
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Release Date: May 1st, 2009
Series: : Wings #1
Number of Pages: 290
Publisher: Harper Teen
Source: Bought
-
Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.
Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.
In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.
-

I had heard a lot of good comments about this book. I was curious about what the story was about, but I ended up slightly disappointed.

First, the story was kind of slow for me. A flower that comes out of her back? Original, but slightly strange. The beginning was really slow. It took me a while before I could really say that I was in the story. Half way through the book, I start enjoying it. The ending was okay, but I had expected something better again.

The characters were okay. Laurel was annoyed most of the time. I just didn’t like her reactions. She just acted too strangely sometimes. David really got on my nerves. I prefer Tam all the way. There just something about him that is so nice, so strong and so perfect. He wants her, that’s for sure. He knows what she really is, where I felt like David really wanted her because she was different. I’m soo team Tam!

The writing was okay. It was easy to read and to follow. It didn’t really make a big impact on my reading, so I can’t really say much about it.

I was disappointed, but I liked it. I want to read what will happen next. I would give this book a 3/5, but I’m really hoping it will get better in Spells.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. I'm glad I read this. I downloaded WINGS when it was being offered free (to promote the 3rd in the trilogy, I think) so I have it to read soon. Now I know what to expect. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I still hope you'll like it more than I did. That's the sad part about hearing great review everywhere, you expect so much from the book that you end up being disappointed.

    ReplyDelete