Thursday, September 06, 2012

Review: The Demon Catchers of Milan by Kat Beyer


The Demon Catchers of Milan by Kat Beyer
Release Date: August 28th, 2012
Number of Pages: 288
Publisher: Edgemont
Source: NetGalley
Mia's ordinary life is disrupted in the most horrifying way possible when she is possessed by a hungry and powerful demon--and only saved by the arrival of relatives from Italy, the country her grandfather fled many decades ago. Now her cousins Emilio and Giuliano say the only way to keep her safe is for her to come back with them to Milan, to live, to learn Italian, to fall in and out of love, and to master the family trade: fighting all demons with the lore of bell, book, and candle. Milan is not what Mia expected, but it will change her forever, in this stunningly well-written novel about an American girl who, fleeing an ancient evil, finds her only salvation in her ancestral home.
The Demon Catchers of Milan premise was really interesting, and I was really excited to start this book. The world Kat Beyer created was really interesting. I was really curious to see where the story would be going, and what would happen to Mia. Yet, there were so many things that annoyed me with this book. The thing is, I was hoping for more, and I felt left down by the end of the book.

Am I the only one who was a little confused by the characters relationship? I never seemed to remember who was whose cousin or brother. I was also a little lost, since everyone keeps Mia in the dark, keeping us also in the dark about the truth of what’s going on.

The thing is, I felt like there was no real point to the book. I was hoping for an amazing story, with an ending that would leave me begging for more. Yet, I felt like this book was mostly an introduction to a world Kat Beyer created. We were left without real ending, without real finality in this book. I’m curious as to what will the sequel will be about, but I don’t think I’ll be reading it. The book, as interesting the premises sounded, didn’t work for me.

I’ll be looking forward to see what else Kat Beyer will be writing, but this series (if it is a series. I’m not even sure) won’t be on my reading list. Some will enjoy it, but it simply wasn’t the case for me.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that this one didn't work for you. As much as I like great characters, I still need a plot. Think I'll give this one a pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard this one is part of a series.. I thought the ending was a let down when I read it because I thought the book was a standalone. It's hard to keep track of relationships like the ones in this book. For me I enjoyed it because the relationship thing I could understand, just because I have to deal with it myself. But I do hope the next book picks up a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the exact same way about this book! I was so confused by all the relationships and I wanted some real closure at the end of the book but it felt like the whole story went nowhere. I won't be continuing this series if there is another book. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete