Sunday, September 16, 2012

Review: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater


The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Raven Cycle #1
Release Date: September 18th, 2012
Number of Pages: 408
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Source: ARC from BEA

“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.” It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive. Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her. His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble. But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little. For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore. From Maggie Stiefvater, the bestselling and acclaimed author of the Shiver trilogy and The Scorpio Races, comes a spellbinding new series where the inevitability of death and the nature of love lead us to a place we’ve never been before.
Wow. Wow. Wow.

Seriously, Maggie Stiefvater blew my mind with this book. I mean, I was expecting something good since the book sounded really interesting, but I was a little scared since I wasn’t the biggest fan of Shiver and the rest of that series. Yet, I this book was I simply couldn’t put down, and was so sad to finally part with once I was done. I absolutely adored the world Maggie created, the characters she gives us. There’s something simply addicting to this novel.

I can’t really decide who I liked more, Blue or the Raven boys. On one side, there’s something really unique about Blue, something strange and intriguing. On the other side, there’s something really captivating about the four boys, all so different, yet sharing a deep bound. Adam, Ronan, Gansey and Noah all made ma like them for different reasons, and I find it hard to choose who was the most interesting one (though I do have a small preference for Gansey, even if I needed to get to know him before really liking him.)

Maggie Stiefvater really created a novel full of twits and amazingly well crafted. There’s something really beautiful about the novel, making me unable to stop reading. I can’t seem to find a negative thing to say about this book, since I’ve fallen in love so hard with this novel. Only the good stood out to me, because the story is THAT addicting. I really can’t wait to find out what will happen next to Blue and company. I still have some questions left unanswered, which I hope will find their answer in the next books.

Seriously, even if you didn’t enjoy the Wolves of Mercy Fall series, you should read it. To me, they were worlds apart. This book was simply amazing, and I hardly can wait for the next book. Definitely worth reading!


6 comments:

  1. I loved The Scorpio Races so I'm definitely excited about The Raven Boys. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I'm glad it's well crafted. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't read The Scorpio Races, but it sounds really good. I really need to read it, especially since I loved the Raven Boys. =)

      Delete
  2. I wasn't blown away by the Wolves of Mercy Falls but I am really looking forward to this one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither. This one was really different from the Wolves of Mercy Falls. This book was simply excellent.

      Delete
  3. I have to say as much as I liked Blue, I think I like the Raven Boys more just because we got to know them better. I can't wait to find out more about Blue though. Absolutely loved this story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved this book, from the first page to the last. Fantastic array of characters. Great descriptions. And so much imagination in the plot. A terrific urban fantasy. I plan on re-reading when the next one comes out :-).

    Maycee Greene (NC Photo Booth)

    ReplyDelete