Friday, September 07, 2012

Review: Origin by Jessica Khoury

Origin by Jessica Khoury
Release Date: September 4th, 2012
Number of Pages: 372
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: ARC from BEA
Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home—and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life. Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia’s origin—a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever. Origin is a beautifully told, shocking new way to look at an age-old desire: to live forever, no matter the cost. This is a supremely compelling debut novel that blends the awakening romance of Matched with the mystery and jungle conspiracy of Lost. 
Wow. For a book I had trouble getting into at first, I have to say I was hooked after the first 100 pages! Jessica Khoury created a story that was simply addicting. It was unique and I love the science aspect, even though I hated science in high school. The premise was in itself enough to get me to pick this book up, but once I started it and was lost in their camp in the Amazon rainforest. I wish I could have seen the story, because how gorgeous would it be, especially Pia’s room, with the glass walls and the rainforest in the background.

I have to say I really liked Pia, even though at first I was a little bugged by her “perfectness”. There’s an innocence in her that is so intriguing as she discover the truth about what is going on, and also as she gets to know Eio. I felt like the beauty of this book came from how well Jessica Khoury could describe everything that is going around Pia (you can visualize everything so easily), but also what is going on in her head. There’s a reason this book is kind of big (you don’t realize it that much as you read it, as it is simply addicting.).

I don’t know if the book is a standalone, or if we can expect more from this world, but it stands perfectly on its own. The ending gives you closure, but it doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like to hear back from them, since Jessica Khoury created this amazing world, with question of morality and immortality included in such a brilliant way. I can’t wait to read more from her, because I was extremely happy with this novel. Definitely worth reading if you find the premises interesting.


3 comments:

  1. OOooohhhhhh I really want to read this! :) Great review! I only started my book blog a little over 3 weeks ago and I think I requested this ARC a little too soon so I was rejected. *sigh* Will be buying a copy soon to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your review!! Heard a few negative things about the whole animal killing but it's just a novel so I still wanted to give it a try but man I can't wait to pick it up! might just buy a copy soon!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear that you liked this one. I haven't heard much about it to be honest but the story itself sounds so interesting. I don't really like books that drag in the beginning but I will keep in mind that it does pick up! Great review!

    ReplyDelete