Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Review: A Fractured Light by Jocelyn Davies


A Fractured Light by Jocelyn Davies
A Beautiful Dark #2
Release Date: September 25th, 2012
Number of Pages: 352
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: ARC from BEA
When she wakes up in unfamiliar surroundings, Skye knows something terrible has happened to her. It's not until she hears Asher, the dark, rebellious angel she fell in love with, that the memories come flooding back. She tries to put the past behind her, but she knows she'll be forever haunted by the ruthless betrayal that almost took her life. Skye returns home, but with the knowledge of who she really is, nothing can ever be the same. As she tests the limits of her newfound powers, Skye discovers that she's capable of far more than anyone could have imagined. Both the Order and the Rebellion want her for their side as war between the factions looms. She can't forget the terrifying truth she now knows about the Order, but something holds her back from embracing the Rebellion. "A Fractured Light" picks up right after "A Beautiful Dark"'s shocking cliffhanger ending and is perfect for fans of Lauren Kate's "Fallen" and Becca Fitzpatrick's Hush, Hush saga.

I know it may sound strange, but the girly side of me really really enjoyed this book, probably because of Asher. The more rational part of me found it to be okay. Hello there double personality. It’s not as bad as it can sound from my previous statement. I just know that this was kind of the same story that we all have read at some point in the past. It wasn’t THAT original, not that it annoys be if it’s really well done. It’s just that you have so many elements that have been used together over and over again. It wasn’t the most impressive book I’ve ever read, and I kind of feel bad about that, because I really wanted to love it.

The one thing that did get on my nerve is the freaking love triangle that doesn’t seem to want to die in this book. I mean, one of them tried to kill you, and you still can’t move on from him? Come on Skye, you got to be wiser than that. Skye as a main character didn’t impress me that much, mostly because I felt like I found something to be missing. I can’t really pinpoint what, but I felt like there was something missing in her personality, for me to really like her. Her friends were slightly boring and annoying. The only character I really liked was Asher, and it’s probably because I may have a small crush on him (don’t judge.)

The book wasn’t that impressive, but it wasn’t completely bad. It’s simply the kind of book that will satisfy those who loved the first book in the series, but it won’t be the kind of book that will make you fall in love with this series if you hated (or simply disliked book one.) I’m still curious to see where the next book will be going, but it’s not a book I will be dying to read.

5 comments:

  1. oh man no, please no more love triangle! I can't take it. I am rooting for Asher so i'm all for him but even the other guy is fine AS LONG as the love triangle becomes a love line!

    great review, I really hoped this novel would be a bit original

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. love triangle....oh say no more....i'm with you on this this...but great review.

    Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh I loved the first book, so I admit I'm DYING to get my hands on this one!!!! I'm really looking forward to it, awesome review!

    Anna
    Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read the first book, but it's kind of sad to know that this one falls victim to the "second in a trilogy syndrome". Also, I'm over love triangle...and one of them tried to kill her, eep. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't blown away by the first book, so I'm not sure if I want to read this one. After seeing another terrible love-triangle, I think I will skip this. I don't want to waste my time. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete