Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Review: Scorch by Gina Damico

Scorch by Gina Damico
Croak #1
Release Date: September 25th, 2012
Number of Page: 332
Publisher: Graphia
Source: ARC from BEA
Sixteen-year-old Lex Bartleby is a teenage grim reaper with the bizarre ability to damn souls. That makes her pretty scary, even to fellow Grims. But after inadvertently transferring her ability to Zara, a murderous outlaw, Lex is a pariah in Croak, the little town she calls home. To escape the townspeople’s wrath, she and her friends embark on a wild road trip to DeMyse. Though this sparkling desert oasis is full of luxuries and amusements, it feels like a prison to Lex. Her best chance at escape would be to stop Zara once and for all—but how can she do that from DeMyse, where the Grims seem mysteriously oblivious to Zara’s killing spree?

I had absolutely enjoyed Croak when I first read it, and I have to say, Scorch doesn’t disappoint. There’s just something about this book that made it impossible for me to stop reading (this book is addicting, that’s for sure) and smile. This book made me smile, laugh and just simply enjoyed the time I spend the nose buried between its pages. This is the kind of book that I just can’t get enough since there’s about everything I, as a reader, could want. There’s humor, drama, mystery,

As expected, the character had to mature a little since they went through some pretty horrible events in Croak. Lexi just lost her sister, and things aren’t getting easier for her. Almost whole town is turning their back on her and the other Juniors, Zara is still on the loose, and Lexi ahs trouble controlling her Damning. Yep, nothing is easy for her right now. She fortunately still has her friends, her uncle, two new Juniors (two really great additions, if I may add) and, of course, Drigg. Doesn’t mean things are going perfectly well for Lexi and company. They go through some pretty bad stuff in this book once again, losing some of their friends in the process.

Scorch ends up being a little darker than its predecessor, since it deals, after all, with the aftermath of Cody’s death, and the betrayal of Zara. Still, the book is full of dark humor, and nice little twists. Gina Damico created an incredible world and an addicting story that will please many readers. Yes, the book isn’t perfect, but to me, all the fun I had reading it made me forget about the little details that may have bugged me otherwise. A book that can make me smile and laugh as much deserves some love. I already can’t wait sink back into the world of DeMyse and of the Grims.

3 comments:

  1. Definitely agree about the darkness-I think that was what ultimately made me like this less even though I understand needing to deepen the characters and their motivations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! Really need to read this soon. Croak was so much fun to read!

    Hm... I hope that the book being dark than Croak doesn't make it any less funny to read.

    Angie @YA Novelties

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, just became aware of yоur blog through Googlе, anԁ founԁ that it іs
    trulу infοrmativе. I'm gonna watch out for brussels. I'll appreciatе if уou cоntinuе this іn future.

    Mаny peoрle ωill bе benefited frоm уour wrіting.
    Сheeгs!

    My pagе; payday

    ReplyDelete