Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Review: Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan


Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
The Lynburn Legacy #1
Release Date: September 11th, 2012
Number of Pages: 370
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Source: NetGalley 
Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head. But all that changes when the Lynburns return. The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?
Wow. I didn’t think I would find this book so addicting. I mean, I did find the idea of the book interesting, and I have enjoyed about every book I have read written by Sarah Rees Brennan. Still, I didn’t think I would become that involved in the story. By involved, I mean I was almost yelling at the book since I was a little waiting for a kiss that never seemed to come. And of course, I can’t forget my reaction to that ending, which would have been slightly embarrassing if I had been in public. Fortunately, I was home alone, meaning I could express my anger toward the end of the book. Not that it was a bad ending. It simply was a mean ending since book two comes out only next year.

One thing I really enjoy about this book was Kami, who was simply an amazingly fun character to follow. She’s no damsel in distress. More than that, she doesn’t care that much about finding love with one of the (I would say extremely interesting) male characters. Her priority is finding who is responsible for the “bloody deeds in the dept of the woods” Finally someone who has more ambition than simply being an arm candy! And I can’t forget about her friends. I love the diversity of characters we are given in this book. Angela was one that really made me curious and left me hoping we would get more about her, even if we did learn quite a bit about her. Of course I can’t forget about the male characters, mostly Jared and Ash, who do a great job of leaving us slightly unsure of who they really are.

Sarah Rees Brennan really created a book that will get most readers hooked form the beginning. Still, I have to say I find her a little mean to leave us with that kind of ending. 24 hours later, I’m still not over it. You can be sure that book two will be at the top of my list once it comes out, since I’m dying to know what will happen next to her characters. Definitely one of the best books I’ve read in a while!

5 comments:

  1. Great review! Unspoken sounds very awesome. I like that Kami isn't looking to be "arm candy". I like romance but it's insane that it's harder to find books with no romance rather than books with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Even if romance isn't the main focus here, there's still a little touch of it. But I don't get why there isn't more authors writing books that has no romance. After all, you're not the only one looking for books like that in YA....

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this one so much -- happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked Kami and her girl friends but overall the story was lacking for me-maybe I would have preferred a standalone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you would. Sad to hear it was lacking tho. It can't be for everyone, right?

      Delete