Saturday, October 20, 2012

Review: Eve and Adam by Michael Grant


Eve and Adam by Michael Grant and Katherine Applegate
Eve and Adam #1
Release Date: October 2nd, 2012
Number of Pages: 291
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Source: ARC from BEA
And girl created boy… In the beginning, there was an apple— And then there was a car crash, a horrible injury, and a hospital. But before Evening Spiker’s head clears a strange boy named Solo is rushing her to her mother’s research facility. There, under the best care available, Eve is left alone to heal. Just when Eve thinks she will die—not from her injuries, but from boredom—her mother gives her a special project: Create the perfect boy. Using an amazingly detailed simulation, Eve starts building a boy from the ground up. Eve is creating Adam. And he will be just perfect... won’t he?
I was surprisingly excited about this book, since I didn’t know much about it and I hadn’t read anything by Michael Grant and Katherine Applegate. I have to say that I expected the story to be connected with the classic story of Adam and Eve, set in a dystopian or sci-fi setting, but it isn’t about that, and I have to say that it was a happy surprise.

There are a lot of things going on in this novel, that’s for sure.  I ended up reading it in a day, since I just wanted to know what would happen next to Evening, and of course Solo. Those two characters really made me enjoy this book, since they were so interesting. The only thing with Eve that annoyed me was reading her thoughts about creating the perfect boy. It sounded wrong to me, all the details she seemed to care for her “Adam”. It was probably the only thing that I didn’t really like about her. I love how caring she seemed to be for her friend, even if Aislin doesn’t always make the right choices. She’s always there for her when it matters. When it comes down to Solo, the only thing I felt really lacking was the backstory of his hate for Eve’s mother. I can get it, but I just wish we could have been shown more about his feeling regarding her.

The story really got me interested from page one. It was the kind of book I could have taken a few hundred pages more, simply because it was addicting. I just wish the authors could have shown us more about the world, about the details. There are things that just needed more information. I’m a sucker for details. I wanted a little more. This didn’t really take away from the experience, but it does make me wish we would get more in the next book. Eve and Adam is a quick and really interesting read. I can hardly wait to read more from this series.


5 comments:

  1. This sounds pretty interesting. I've seen a lot of reviews saying that it's completely addicting and a quick read and it has to be read in a day. Sounds good to me! I'll definitely have to check it out!
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael Grant is one of my favorite authors. If you haven't yet read his GONE series, you should definitely pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still ahven't read it! It's on my TBR pile though...

      Delete
  3. I had really low expectations for this book but ended up really enjoying it. It was lighter that I had thought it would be.

    My only problem with Solo was how much he liked Eve. It seemed a little fast for love but it was a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved her friendship with Aislin-love when my YA heroines are good friends!

    ReplyDelete