Monday, October 22, 2012

Review: Skinny by Donna Cooner


Skinny by Donna Cooner
Release Date: October 1st, 2012
Number of Pages: 272
Publisher: Point
Source: ARC from BEA
Find your voice. Hopeless. Freak. Elephant. Pitiful. These are the words of Skinny, the vicious voice that lives inside fifteen-year-old Ever Davies’s head. Skinny tells Ever all the dark thoughts her classmates have about her. Ever knows she weighs over three hundred pounds, knows she’ll probably never be loved, and Skinny makes sure she never forgets it.
 But there is another voice: Ever’s singing voice, which is beautiful but has been silenced by Skinny. Partly in the hopes of trying out for the school musical—and partly to try and save her own life—Ever decides to undergo a risky surgery that may help her lose weight and start over. With the support of her best friend, Ever begins the uphill battle toward change. But demons, she finds, are not so easy to shake, not even as she sheds pounds. Because Skinny is still around. And Ever will have to confront that voice before she can truly find her own.
I have to say I’m a little on the fence about this book. It’s a book was really intrigued with, and I really wanted to like it. This review is something I have been dreading a little, since I find it hard to put word on what this book made me feel. On one side, the internal struggle of Ever really touched me and in a way relatable (to a certain extant). On the other side, the idea of a teenager getting a gastric bypass surgery makes me cringe. I can get where the author wanted to go, but I couldn’t stop myself from getting a feeling that this could make an obese teenager want to surgery. And I think it can help in certain situation, but to me, I felt like Ever’s problem came from a mental problem, which should have been where the help should have been given.

Ever is over 300 pounds, and she has been gaining weight since her mother’s death. That’s the first thing that made me question the gastric bypass surgery on a 15 years-old teenager. Wow. She clearly has an issue, which probably is at the first thing that should have been addressed before getting the surgery. Am I the only one who felt like it’s one of the first real attempts to help her lose wait? A dangerous surgery? Still doesn’t help the issue that is the CAUSE of that weight problem. Am I too harsh? I just have trouble understanding why. The books about weight issue can be really tricky, especially in Young Adult, and this book just doesn’t live up to what I would have expected of the book.

This book just didn’t live up to my expectation. I was a little disappointed to see Ever go to the surgery so fast, and not to see really her dealing with her issue as much as I would have wanted. Some may really enjoy this book, but for me, it just didn’t work.

3 comments:

  1. I gave Skinny a mostly positive review. Mostly because I think that the author gave an honest depiction of the surgery, however, I'm with you and I was troubled that the decision itself was taken rather lightly.

    Other than a few group meetings I don't think there was any counseling. 15 years old is young to make a choice that you have to live with the consequences for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on that: the author really gave a great depictation of the Gastric Bypass. I probably would have enjoyed it more if the main character had been older...

      Delete
  2. Comparable to other prime makes involving products, rolex replica sale in addition supplies their shoppers using a range of whether bracelets as well as natural leather bracelet. As a result, you'll be able to decide on D&G designer watches judging by your kind of rolex replica sale as outlined by your own personal preferences along with demands. Normally, earrings wrist strap are generally thought to be additional tough along with hard-wearing. This specific suggests that they can is not required to always be exchanged contrary to your natural leather versions that always find broken down after a while. Really the only problem involving hublot replica uk wrist strap can be that they can may need obtaining a number of backlinks obtained to adjust to your arm involving their consumer correctly. Your designer watches pertaining to males and females via D&G are incredibly assorted and you'll create the best option pertaining to getting. Sekonda ended up being launched throughout 1931, currently it can be portion of hublot replica uk (Ough. T). The idea is still a similar secretly owned or operated organization who's commenced while, nevertheless features progressed for you to serve 6. 5% in the United kingdom enjoy market place (GFK files 2006). Which has a market place talk about similar to that it must be hardly surprising that will Sekonda can be at the moment your Ough. T. is well known enjoy company. Additional remarkable can be the belief that they have stayed at your Ough. T. is cartier replica uk enjoy company considering that 1988 along with throughout 2006 grew to be the top retailer by simply the two size along with price. Demonstrating that it must be solidly founded throughout their situation presents itself this specific sector. The issues because of their good results are generally a lot of and perchance might be ideal summed way up by simply their unique mantra "beware involving high-priced replicas. inch.

    ReplyDelete