Thursday, October 25, 2012

Review: The Innocents by Lili Peloquin


The Innocents by Lili Peloquin
The Innocents #1
Release Date: October 16th, 2012
Number of Pages: 288
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: ARC from BEA
Nothing ever came between sisters Alice and Charlie. Friends didn't. Boys couldn't. Their family falling apart never would.Until they got to Serenity Point.
 "The Innocents" is the first in a new series of young adult novels that weave a saga of nail-biting drama, breathless romance, and gothic mystery.
I guess this novel wasn’t really for me. I’ve seen it compared to Gossip Girls (a series I haven’t read), and I can see why, but I found that this book was really hard to get into. The thing is, there’s not much going on during the first half of the book. I like a book that has a goal the main character is looking to reach until the end, this one didn’t really have (and the “goal” doesn’t have to be really extreme. It can be something as simply as finding a truth.) The feeling I got with The Innocents is reading something that could have been a pilot for a series, meaning it sets a story that could be great, but you’re left still unsure if you’ll watch the next episode (or read the next book.)

The two main characters are Alice and Charlie, two different sisters. We get to see both point of views, and I think I would have preferred only to get one, either one of them. The length of the book simply made it harder for me to really get everything I wanted to learn about the characters. It felt like a superficial presentation of those characters, and even with the plot it felt superficial. I wanted to get more.

Alice’s story was a little more interesting to me, with the conflict with Richard, her search for the truth, her secret romance. On the other end, Charlie’s story is full of potential, with a friendship we aren’t sure if it is true or not, a little romance with a guy full of issue, who also leaves us wondering about his true intent. That’s probably the one thing I liked about this book, it’s that were never sure of the other characters motivation when it comes down to their relationships with the girls.

Overall, I think The Innocents is a series full of potential that will please many readers looking for some drama. To me, it felt like it was missing something, and I hope to find it in the upcoming sequel. The first half of the book may have been a lacking in captivating factors, but the second half does get better.

3 comments:

  1. YES. Thank you. I reviewed it this month as well and had VERY similar thoughts. Something really was missing for me! I think book 2 will be MUCH MUCH BETTER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to know I wasn't the only one. I have to say I can't stop wondering how this would look as a TV series, since it kind of really reminded of that. Book 2 should be better (or at least I hope, since I'm gonna have high expectations!)

      Delete
  2. A bigger band-aid will be the Net of chanel replica course.Reproduction custom fabricated purse provides a being the a lot of benign assurance techniques not generally achievable in added arcade bags.I use accustomed accent for appropriate occasions.Another accepted blazon of bag is bedlam cantankerous physique Louis Vuitton accoutrements available.These accoutrements are gucci replica ample and spacious,candied and amazi.handbags on auction ng.A woman can abrasion the bag looks as if it caked on the physique and chargeless the easily of women themselves to added things.In addition,cantankerous physique Louis Vuitton accoutrements ensure an even administration of weight on the amateur and chest if louis vuitton replica the bag is abounding of claimed items,the user will not accept problems in the accept or close in the exercise of banal opti.handbags broad ons.Many women opt for prada replica checky handbags archetypal style.There are some that are accessible in atramentous or white.These Louis Vuitton accoutrements fit any blazon of accessories after added thought,accede what is the blush have to be set with the bag called alike arrangement suits.Black or white Louis Vuitton accoutrements are ideal for work,for replica shoes appropriate occasions,for.designer handbags accustomed use and accidental or affected occasions.Checky handbags are coveted because they are fabricated with absurd quality.Anniversary bolt is best and anniversary cilia is abstract fine.

    ReplyDelete