Thursday, July 21, 2011

Review: Falling For Hamlet

Title: Falling For Hamlet
Author: Michelle Ray
Release Date: July 5th, 2011
Series: None
Number of Pages: 348
Publisher: Poppy
Source: Bought
-
Meet Ophelia: a blonde, beautiful high-school senior and long-time girlfriend of Prince Hamlet of Denmark. Her life is dominated not only by her boyfriend's fame and his overbearing family, but also by the paparazzi who hound them wherever they go. As the devastatingly handsome Hamlet spirals into madness after the mysterious death of his father, the King, Ophelia rides out his crazy roller coaster life, and lives to tell about it. In live television interviews, of course.
Passion, romance, drama, humor, and tragedy intertwine in this compulsively readable debut novel, told by a strong-willed, modern-day Ophelia.
-
Now, that’s what I call a modern retelling!

OMG. Can I say I loved this book? No? Can I say I adored it? YES!

Finally a retelling where it is believable. Michelle Ray didn’t simply change a few details to make the reader feel that it is set in the 21st century, no. She changed the events so they could be adapted to today’s culture, without changing the main plot. I don’t want to too much into the details of what’s going, as most already knows the main plot. I don’t want to give away the few surprises!

Prince and his girlfriend being followed by the press and paparazzi? Completely believable, just think of William and Kate.

One of the things I loved about this book is Ophelia. Finally! They didn’t let her fade into the background. She’s strong and present in this book. I love how she is the narrator, making us feel all she’s going through as she watches the man she loves fall into madness.

No this is not the written beauty of Shakespeare, let’s be honest. Who can really try to go against him today in that field? This book is honest, captivating, breathtaking and interesting. It is so fun to see another take on such a classic. Shakespeare lover or curious, do not fear this book. If you read it as a modern novel, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read this one! I love modern re-tellings :). Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete