Friday, July 22, 2011

Review: Nightshade

Title: Nightshade
Author: Andrea Cremer
Release Date: August 7th, 2010
Series: Nightshade #1
Number of Pages: 452
Publisher: Speak
Source: Bought
Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything- including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?
 Okay, why did it take me that long to read that book? Seriously. Where was I? What was I thinking? WHEN CAN I GET MY HANDS ON  WOLFSBANE!

Okay, let’s try to be serious. If you haven’t read this book, and you love YA and werewolf story, you have to run to the bookstore to buy it! I loved it!

The story simply so addicting. There was always something keeping me on my toes. The world she created is unique and interesting. I love all the history that comes with it. She really created a world that stands on its own. I also adore the way she portray werewolves (or Guardians as they prefer.) There is so much going on with all the hierarchy and the Keepers. I just couldn’t put it down. I ended up staying up until 4:30 to finish it. I was that captivated.

Calla’s personality didn’t make me love her, but with everything I learned about her world, I could understand her more. She had to appear in control, and ready to do anything ask, as she is an alpha. She is supposed to set an example, and she as been taught as much since her birth. Yet, I ended up wishing I could give her a kick in the ass so she could realize that everything she does doesn’t make sense. She should have the right to be free.

In term of male characters, neither caught my heart. Yes, I do have a preference, but there’s not big love. I prefer Ren, simply because he seems so in control. He looks like he knows what he wants. He wants her and not only because they are told they have to be together. He seems to really like her. Shay was annoying at some point. He doesn’t seem to really care that he is risking Calla’s life by his action. Yet, I do want Calla to be with the one she wants to be, not the one she is told to be with.

One other thing I really enjoyed was the dynamic with the pack. They Nightshade and the Bane both have so really great relationship within their pack, and even between both packs as the story goes. There's just a perfect mix of different personality. I wish I could have a group of friends like the pack. They really act like a family.

Andrea Cremer’s series is addicting, that’s for sure. There should be a warning on it: “Do not start before going to bed. You might be unable to sleep until you’ve read the last pages.” Now, all I can do is wait for Wolsbane patiently. At least I don’t have to wait long!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read Nightshade! So I don't want to read your review yet! But the cover is sooo pretty! I like it a lot better, than the ARC I have(:

    lisa

    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. couldn't get enough. pulled some all nighters. read wolfsbane (quite inconvenient when reading on iphone) because didn't want to wait until i could go and buy the book at the store.

    ReplyDelete