Monday, July 18, 2011

Review: Luminous

Title: Luminous
Author: Dawn Metcalf
Release Date: June 30th, 2011
Series: None
Number of Pages: 367
Publisher:Dutton
Source: Bought

As reality slips and time stands still, Consuela finds herself thrust into the world of the Flow. Removed from all she loves into this shifting world overlapping our own, Consuela quickly discovers she has the power to step out of her earthly skin and cloak herself in new ones-skins made from the world around her, crafted from water, fire, air. She is joined by other teens with extraordinary abilities, bound together to safeguard a world they can affect, but where they no longer belong.
When murder threatens to undo the Flow, the Watcher charges Consuela and elusive, attractive V to stop the killer. But the psychopath who threatens her new world may also hold the only key to Consuela's way home

One of the first words that come to my mind after reading this book is disbelief. I simply couldn’t believe in the story Dawn Metcalf was telling. There was something in the back of my mind that kept telling me that it was simply unbelievable.

The thing is, Luminous is highly original and creative. It is interesting. The story flows easily and is captivating, as long as you’re not stuck like me with disbelief. Sadly, the book wasn’t made for me. I wish I could have enjoy it, because I felt like everything, if taken separately, was well done. The story, the writing, the character. I simply couldn’t bring myself to believe.

I’m not sure if I got everything in the book right. I’m still not sure if I get the ending correctly. There’s always that little voice in my head that tells me that it shouldn’t be like this, yet it is.

The characters were nice, but my favorite ended up being the bad guy. I don’t really know why. I just felt like he was more interesting. I won’t say which one it is, because it could tell who’s the bad guy. Yet, some other characters really got on my nerves, simply because the way the acted didn’t make sense to me.

I honestly feel like all I’m saying is that I A) couldn’t believe in it or B) couldn’t make sense out of it.

If you think you can make open your mind enough to believe in a story where the character live in the “Flow” where they can save people from dying, and all have “powers” to do so, you might really enjoy it. For me, the whole “girl-that-can-take-off-her-skin-and-create-new-ones-with-about-anything just didn’t make it.

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way - after reading a few chapters I had to put it down - it wasn't really my cup of tea.

    - Renu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this review, it's a great honest review which l always appreciate.
    I feel with some books that they are just too 'far fetched' for me but for some people they may love it!
    I am sure this one may be the case.

    ReplyDelete