Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Review: Witches of East End

Title: Witched of East End
Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Release Date: June 21st, 2011
Series: The Beauchamps Family #1
Number of Pages: 272
Publisher: Hyperion
Source: Bought
The three Beauchamp women--Joanna and her daughters Freya and Ingrid--live in North Hampton, out on the tip of Long Island. Their beautiful, mist-shrouded town seems almost stuck in time, and all three women lead seemingly quiet, uneventful existences. But they are harboring a mighty secret--they are powerful witches banned from using their magic. Joanna can resurrect people from the dead and heal the most serious of injuries. Ingrid, her bookish daughter, has the ability to predict the future and weave knots that can solve anything from infertility to infidelity. And finally, there's Freya, the wild child, who has a charm or a potion that can cure most any heartache.
For centuries, all three women have been forced to suppress their abilities. But then Freya, who is about to get married to the wealthy and mysterious Bran Gardiner, finds that her increasingly complicated romantic life makes it more difficult than ever to hide her secret. Soon Ingrid and Joanna confront similar dilemmas, and the Beauchamp women realize they can no longer conceal their true selves. They unearth their wands from the attic, dust off their broomsticks, and begin casting spells on the townspeople. It all seems like a bit of good-natured, innocent magic, but then mysterious, violent attacks begin to plague the town. When a young girl disappears over the Fourth of July weekend, they realize it's time to uncover who and what dark forces are working against them.
With a brand-new cast of characters, a fascinating and fresh world to discover, and a few surprise appearances from some of the Blue Blood fan favorites, this is a page-turning, deliciously fun, magical summer read fraught with love affairs, witchcraft, and an unforgettable battle between good and evil.
The first thing I have to say is that when I bought this book, I wasn’t aware that it wasn’t a YA, so it kind of surprised me. So first and foremost I have to say that it isn’t a younger audience because there is some stuff that could shock the younger readers.

Now, let me tell you that I couldn’t put this book down. Melissa de la Cruz simply knows how to create addicting characters and mystery. The three main characters all have their little thing going, yet they all interconnect in some way. I also like that Melissa de la Cruz’ new series is placed in the same world as the Blue Blood, mainly because I adore this series. You don’t need to have read on to understand the other, but you can see some character from the other series.

One of the aspects that I found interesting in the book was the character. I love how different the three main characters were. It was easy to connect with at least one of them, because of how different they were. As much as I like Freya’s personality, she was sometime too impulsive for my taste. I ended up liking Ingrid best. Still, there was something interesting to get from each character. Now, there is also some great male character. My favorite? Killian! His brother kind of bored me. Not there enough for Freya, that’s for sure!

Melissa de la Cruz took the opportunity to add some sexiness to her adult series. It really made thing interesting, and it really separate both her series on that level. Where the relationships in Blue Blood were more on the cute side, here it is more about passion. Lovely and sexy passion!

If you’re looking for a new Adult series to start, this one will keep you captivated. 


2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed her Blue Blood series, so I'm really excited about read this book! Thanks for the lovely review, I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this book because it is on my to-read list! :) Now I'm looking forward to reading it even more once I get my hands on a copy! Nice reivew:)

    ReplyDelete