Thursday, July 12, 2012

Review: Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone by Kat Rosenfield

Amelia Grace is Dead and Gone by Kat Rosenfield
Release Date: July 5thth, 2012
Number of Pages: 304
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Source: Bought
An arresting un-coming-of-age story, from a breathtaking talent Becca has always longed to break free from her small, backwater hometown. But the discovery of an unidentified dead girl on the side of a dirt road sends the town--and Becca--into a tailspin. Unable to make sense of the violence of the outside world creeping into her backyard, Becca finds herself retreating inward, paralyzed from moving forward for the first time in her life. Short chapters detailing the last days of Amelia Anne Richardson's life are intercut with Becca's own summer as the parallel stories of two young women struggling with self-identity and relationships on the edge twist the reader closer and closer to the truth about Amelia's death.
Wow.

I didn’t really know what to expect when I first bought this book. I hadn’t really read that much about it, and the only feedback I had heard came from John Green, and he said nothing but good things about this book. I mean if John Green recommends it, it has to be good right?

Well, I can honestly say that I absolutely loved it. First, the writing was absolutely amazing. It’s worth reading just for that! Kat Rosenfield created a story that was simply haunting and breathtaking. This book is simply more than a murder mystery, more than just some kind of coming-of-age (or un-coming-of-age, as it is presented). The book is about wanting to break free, wanting to live your own life, yet being scared in someway of the unknown. Being scared of losing those left behind.

The book alternates between Rebecca’s life and Amelia Anne finale day. We see Becca trying to make sense of her fast approaching future out of her little town, of the death of this mysterious girl, and her struggling relationship with her boyfriend that will be left behind once she finally leaves. We see Amelia Anne trying to share her dream with her boyfriend, as she goes through her final day. I really found that having a glimpse at Amelia Anne final moment interesting. On the other end, Becca’s side of the story ended up being sometime confusing, as we aren’t always sure if she is telling us about the present or some kind of past events.

Still, the book caught my attention from page one, with the amazing writing and beautiful storytelling. The murderer slightly surprised me. I didn’t really figure out exactly who the killer was, but I did find it logical and not that surprising after we finally learn what really happened.

Overall, I absolutely adored this book. It was simply beautiful amazing and heartbreaking. The descriptions are simply vivid and bring easily to life the world and characters Kat Rosenfield has created. I highly recommend this book to fans of contemporary, if only for the writing. I was far from disappointed with this book and enjoyed every moment of it.

4 comments:

  1. This is a great review. I have this book waiting to be read on my Nook and was sort of skeptical of it at first. But I am really glad that you enjoyed it.

    Chelsey@Charming Chelsey's

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a well written story. A heart breaking and thrilling story. I can't wait to know how the story will end. You did a great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds good! I'm glad that you liked it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this book sounds beautiful. I love the idea of the alternating people and times. I love a book where the author is able to bring everything to life so easily as it sounds like Kat is able to do. Thanks for the amazing review!

    ReplyDelete