Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Review: Glitch by Heather Anastasiu


Glitch by Heather Anastasiu
Glitch #1
Release Date: August 7th, 2012
Number of Pages: 371
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Source: NetGalley
In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network. When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers. As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse. In this action-packed debut, Glitch begins an exciting new young adult trilogy.

Once again, I found myself disappointed in a book I had been so excited to read. Glitch simply didn’t work for me. I found myself unable to really believe the story, or simply read the story without getting this  “Are you kidding me” kind of feeling. It simply didn’t work for me, on many level.

Zoe is the kind of character I can’t really decide if I liked or not. There’s just something about her that really made me unsure of her as a believable character, but there were other aspect of her personality (the facts that she do want to help others) that I did like. Of course, the interaction with Max was an other reason that I didn’t like her completely. I just hated what was going on between those two.

One thing that I didn’t understand is the fact that she doesn’t seem to know some emotions, but she knows most of them. She seems to forget emotions and words she already has experienced, or heard of in a matter of chapters (like the word “sorry”. It is used earlier in the book, and suddenly Adrien uses it and she doesn’t remember what it means…)

Now, the book presents us two male characters interested in Zoe. We have Adrien (the only interesting choice, to be honest) and Max (who is clearly a jerk). I have to say that I clearly hated Max for most of the book. After all, when the first thing you ask a girl is to show you her genitalia, you can’t really make a good impression. After that, it only goes worst with him. The only way I can describe him is a manipulative bastard. He tries to control Zoe from the beginning, because he wants her. He tries to force himself a few time, either to kiss her or to try to go farther, but at least she stops him if he tries is hands at going really too far. Adrien to me was the only really interesting character. I would probably check to sequel simply to know what will happen next to him.

Overall, this book really wasn’t for me. I may have found the idea excellent, but Glitch really didn’t find a fan in me. I’m cuirous to see if Override will be better, but I’ll probably have to wait for some reviews to decide if I give it a shot or not.

3 comments:

  1. I wouldn’t normally pick up this one b/c I’m kind of getting “over” dystopian books but your review makes me want to read this and b/c, well, super powers rock! I’m adding it to my ever growing TBR so it might be a bit before I get to it, but at least it’s there for the next time I’m wandering around BN with a coupon and no clue what to buy.

    Irene (LaRose Guide Service)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds so good not to mention that I really like the cover as well. Great pick!

    Zaira Lynn (Cash Advance Company)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belts : For several males and females luggage, belts along with sneakers are simply just the afterthought. rolex replica On the other hand, if you need to create your fashion affirmation, and then they are often additional critical when compared with outfits. dior outlet There's certainly not been recently a greater (or higher popular) time for it to don a fantastic good quality belt created from legitimate natural leather. replica dior In case you can be a touch for the significant facet, don’t self conscious faraway from donning a new belt. The correct fashion belt could supply you with a a waist; reduce anyone via hunting bigger than you happen to be. fake louis vuitton bags Belts are generally necessary specially should you be inside operate discipline. gucci replica Luggage : Getting a cool handbag that may be popular this coming year will certainly bring up to date any favourite clothing. In case you can’t find the money for this specific year’s “it” developer designer handbag, there are several alternate options.

    ReplyDelete