Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Review: Circle of Silence by Carol M. Tanzman

 Circle of Silence by Carol M Tanzman
WiHi #2
Release Date: July 24th, 2012
Number of Pages: 304
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Source: NetGalley
THE BIGGEST STORY OF MY LIFE COULD BE HOW IT ENDS It's my turn to run a "Campus News" crew, and I've put together a team that can break stories wide open. And Washington Irving High has a truly great one to cover, if only we can find a lead. A secret society has formed in our school. It announced its presence with pranks: underwear on the flagpole, a toilet in the hallway, cryptic notes. A circle of silence keeps the society a mystery. No one knows its members, agenda or initiation secrets-until a student lands in the hospital under "strange" circumstances. I "will" blow this story wide open and stop others from being hurt...or worse. And while my ex, Jagger, might want to help, I don't trust him yet. (And, no, not because of our past together. That is "not" important to this story.) But whether you find me, Valerie Gaines, reporting in front of the camera, or a victim in the top story of the newscast...be sure to watch "Campus News" at 9:00 a.m. this Friday. "This addicting, thrilling mystery hits upon many of our worst fears."-"Booklist "on "dancergirl"

If there’s one thing I can say about this book, it’s that it’s a great mystery. I couldn’t really predict who MP was, who were part of the group, which is always a positive things. (I do have to say that I had guessed one of the members before the end of the book.) It is a little disappointing when at the middle of the book, you already now who the bad guys are. Skeletor is seriously something. He is quite scary when you realized how far he is ready to go.

Now, Valerie is the kind of stubborn character that is perfect for this kind of novel. After all, she just won’t give up, even if it puts her at risk. Did I want to scream at her to stop a few times during the book? Yes! Was I captivated by her story, as she tries to dig deeper and deeper to find the truth? Totally. And with Jagger added to the mix, who is almost as stubborn as Valerie, we were in for a hell of a chase. I have to say that I really l enjoy the interaction between those two. They both don’t want to back down, so there's some tension between those two (doesn’t help that they use to date too!) I really enjoy seeing Valerie reacts to Jagger. It was quite entertaining.

Now, I have to say that the MP group was a little more extreme than I had expected when first reading about the book. I didn’t expect them to put people in dangerous situations, the way they did. Still, it’s mostly Skeletor that is crazily scary. I mean, imagine if he is that twisted as a teenager, what will he be when he grows older!

Overall, I was extremely pleased with the mystery. It was well written, captivating and I simply couldn’t put it down. I had to figure out who they were and what would happen with Jagger, before I stop reading. Definitely worth reading!

2 comments:

  1. Circle of Silence sounds like a really great mystery book! When you said, "He is quite scary when you realized how far he is ready to go" and "I mean, imagine if he is that twisted as a teenager, what will he be when he grows older!", that really gave me a good picture of Skeletor and his ruthlessness. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read a chapter of this to get a taste and I'm intrigued-I can't wait to learn about all of the secrets and get to know the characters!

    ReplyDelete