Monday, July 30, 2012

Review: Skylark by Meagan Spooner


Skylark by Meagan Spooner
Skylark Trilogy #1
Release Date: August 1st, 2012
Number of Pages: 344
Publisher: Carolrhoda Lab
Source: BEA 
Sixteen year-old Lark Ainsley has never seen the sky. Her world ends at the edge of the vast domed barrier of energy enclosing all that’s left of humanity. For two hundred years the city has sustained this barrier by harvesting its children's innate magical energy when they reach adolescence. When it’s Lark’s turn to be harvested, she finds herself trapped in a nightmarish web of experiments and learns she is something out of legend itself: a Renewable, able to regenerate her own power after it’s been stripped. Forced to flee the only home she knows to avoid life as a human battery, Lark must fight her way through the terrible wilderness beyond the edge of the world. With the city’s clockwork creations close on her heels and a strange wild boy stalking her in the countryside, she must move quickly if she is to have any hope of survival. She’s heard the stories that somewhere to the west are others like her, hidden in secret – but can she stay alive long enough to find them?
Skylark was one of these books I had heard good things about, but hadn’t actually heard what it was about. I started this book thinking I would love it, sadly I didn’t. It was one of those books that simply didn’t work for me. It really took me forever to get into the story, and there were a lot of things I simply didn’t get. I had so many questions that were still left unanswered by the end of the book. I get that there is a sequel coming up, and that many questions will be answered in the next books, but those missing things really made it hard for me to get into the story. I almost gave up on this book a few times (something I almost never do), simply because I couldn’t connect with the world and the characters.

I wasn’t that the characters were horrible. I actually liked many of them. I just felt like the book was all over the place. I felt like we were given too many genres of books, but none of them amazingly done. The world was just lacking to me. I couldn’t picture it, I couldn’t really understand it. There were too many things lacking in its description for me to really be able to enjoy it.

Skylark ended being unmemorable to me. The book felt slow and a little boring by moments, which ended up with me not being able to remember much about the big events of the books (Thank god for notes. I wouldn’t know what to write if it wasn’t for that.

Overall, this book simply wasn’t for me. I know many readers really enjoyed it, but to me, it simply didn’t work. Hopefully, some will enjoy it, I simply wasn’t one of them.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard this from quite a few people. I'm actually kind of disappointed because I was really looking forward to this book. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if there are a number trendy designs that serves all of these clip-on spectacles or contact lenses, clip-ons right from Silhouette fake chanel handbags really are possibly the best you can purchase. There is pretty much two varieties clip-ons accessible to treatment plan eyeglasses. Basic clip-ons contain a brdge inside the coronary heart which has been hooked over to all the duration for the treatment plan fake gucci handbags. One of these Silhouette Glasses is normally UV sheltered and additionally comes equipped with varied films and additionally tints. A portion of the usual shapes and sizes attainable feature rectangular, oval, and additionally through. Flip-up clip-ons are likewise generally known as like magnet flip-ups simply because they really are sleek and stylish and additionally contain a magnetic which usually connects all the clip-on to duration. This approach fake louis vuitton bags about glasses doesn’t want constant fading or possibly insertion want other sorts of clip-ons. Magnet clip-ons are often the other choice, that can come by means of invisible magnet clips which usually include all the clip-on quite simply to duration. All of these clip-ons are normally fabricated from top-quality superior quality titanium frame. You can see several fake louis vuitton bags right from Silhouette Glasses located at Top Decide to buy Eyeglasses. A portion of the trendy types of clip-ons in all the Silhouette Eyeglasses arranged showed only at that retailer feature Silhouette Rimless 5065, 5058, and additionally 5076 clip-ons. The most important device comes with modernized oval shaped contacts and that can come to be employed just by fake louis vuitton sale persons.

    ReplyDelete