Thursday, July 05, 2012

Review: Team Human by Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan

Team Human by Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan
Release Date: July 3rd 2012
Number of Pages: 344
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Bought 

Just because Mel lives in New Whitby, a city founded by vampires, doesn't mean she knows any of the blood-drinking undead personally. They stay in their part of town; she says in hers. Until the day a vampire shows up at her high school. Worse yet, her best friend, Cathy, seems to be falling in love with him. It's up to Mel to save Cathy from a mistake she might regret for all eternity


On top of trying to help Cathy (whether she wants it or not), Mel is investigating a mysterious disappearance for another friend and discovering the attractions of a certain vampire wannabe. Combine all this with a cranky vampire cop, a number of unlikely romantic entanglements, and the occasional zombie, and soon Mel is hip-deep in an adventure that is equal parts hilarious and touching.
Acclaimed authors Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan team up to create a witty and poignant story of cool vampires, warm friendships, and the changes that test the bonds of love.
Those of you who thought this book would include a love triangle, DO NOT FEAR! This book is love-triangle-free! This book is supposed to be a parody of most vampire books, from what I understand, but I wouldn’t describe it as such.

Do you know what Mel reminded me of? Me if one of my good friends told me she was getting married to a guy she met a couple of months ago. In the book, you simply have to change “guy” by “vampire” and “getting married” to “getting turn into a vampire with no chance of coming back, and a little chance of either dying or getting turn into a zombie”. 

Can we really blame Mel for freaking out about THAT? I mean, I would have totally freaked out if I had been her. That’s kind of why I was a little annoyed at Cathy. It’s really simple why. She does make Francis, her really old vampire, her only priority. He becomes the only thing she seems to care about, and she is ready to give up her life and humanity for him. Not only that, BUT ONLY AFTER KNOWING HIM FOR A SHORT WHILE. Can you really blame Mel for trying to change Cathy’s mind?

Francis may appear to be a gentleman (and I mean have grown to enjoy his character), but he is still a really old VAMPIRE. And I personally think seventeen is kind of young to make this kind of life changing decision. (I mean, I’m 21 and I would still be uncomfortable making that kind of decision). Still, I do think Mel sometimes went to far in showing her dislike for Francis, making it probably worse between her and Cathy. I understand that she saw right away what was going on between Cathy and Francis, but she did more wrong than good.

One character that I really enjoy was Kit. There’s something really innocent about him, as he knows next to nothing about being human (even though he has been human for his entire life. Being raised by vampires does that to someone.) There’s just something sweet in the interaction between Kit and Mel.

Overall, I really enjoy this book. It was really fun, and it was a nice twist on the vampire stories we have been seeing a lot of in the last few years. Worth reading for both fans of vampire books, and those bored of them. This fun, hilarious and “parody-like” book will be worth your time.

10 comments:

  1. I have been hearing a lot about this book, and I am going to check it out now that I have read another positive review. It sounds like a really fun read. It will be a nice break from all of the dystopian lit that I have been reading lately. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really fun book! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I am also with you and Mel-I would do the exact same thing. I mean, she just met this guy and she would have to give up laughter and other emotions, sunshine, etc.

    I also wouldn't describe this as a parody of the vampire genre, at least not the way I understand parodies to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would probably be worst than Mel. I can already see myself doing worse... Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Totally agree with you about Cathy! It really did seem so annoying and rushed and I had the impression that we were supposed to accept it because ti was Cathy's decision or not, even if it was totally dumb. Which is true to an extent, but still fairly aggravating.

    Brenna from Esther's Ever After

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is her decisions. Doesn't mean those around her shouldn't make her realize what it entails.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. The title cracked me up. Loved the review also. You gave a refreshing point of view from the often all-too-serious reviews about this genre.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this book looks really good i love your blog it looks great!! :D
    maybe you could stop by mine

    http://crazy-for-a-book.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so funny... Parodies are always appreciated, especially when done well. Looks like a good cast too. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete