Monday, July 09, 2012

Review: Before I Wake by Rachel Vincent

Before I Wake by Rachel Vincent
Soul Screamers #6
Release Date: June 26th, 2012
Number of Pages: 339
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Source: Bought
I died on a Thursday-killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul. The good news? He didn't get it. The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school...  Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend. But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life....
Okay, let me start by saying that if you haven’t read If I Die, you should probably skip this review, because you’ll read spoilers.

Now, are those who haven’t read If I Die gone? It’s my last warning!

OH MY HOLY SMOKES! I’m in love with this series! Seriously, Rachel Vincent seems to take me on a rollercoaster ride of emotions with this series. I mean, wow. First, let me start by saying how much I love the Tod and Kaylee’s relationship. They are so perfect for each other. Neither of them are perfect, that’s for sure, but they compliment each other perfectly are simply amazing together. Tod is simply so present for Kaylee, and it is big considering everything she went through. I mean, she died at the end of her teacher, killed him, got her soul resurrected, became an extractor and she STILL has to go through high school in order to help clear Noah’s name.

Now, I cannot not talk about Noah, as he went through Hell in the last book. He was addicted to Demon’s Breath (Ouch), lost Kaylee to his brother (double Ouch), and got framed for Kaylee’s murder (Triple Ouch. Things aren’t easy for him. Sabine may be there for him, but things aren’t easier for her. After all, the guy she loves still can’t stop thinking about his ex, an ex who cheated on him with his brother. Let’s just say no one has it easy these days in their circle. Poor them.

Kaylee and company can’t seem to really catch a breath in this sixth installment in the series. Things are getting ugly, and there’s not much that can be done about it. This book seriously reminded me why I love this series so much. It was simply amazing.

Rachel Vincent is great at getting her readers hooked on her series. I’m already dying to figure out what will happen next, especially with that ending (I mean, HOW CRAZY WAS THAT!!) This book won’t disappoint fans of the series, especially if you’re a huge fan of Tod and Kaylee. You’ll be caught in the story from page one, and will be left begging for more! April 2013 can’t come soon enough!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, what an awesome book review. I'll admit, I haven't read the book but I did ignore the spoiler warning (twice) and read the review anyways. I will be sure to check this book out. You made it sound like I def should read this book next! Thanks so much for the review! =D Look forward to reading more reviews from you.
    -Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's easy when it's a book you really enjoyed.

      Delete
    2. Of course! It is awesome to see others so passionate about books.

      Delete
  2. Great review! I haven't read the book yet, even though my friends have and asked me to. Maybe I should since you're pretty persuading ;) Check out Teenage Fiction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you'll enjoy it too, once you find time to read it! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete