Friday, January 20, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I was planning on waiting for my audiobook before making a post about this book. Still, I couldn’t wait any longer, as this book is simply amazing. I won’t say much about the story itself, because I’m really scared of spoiling it. It is, after all, really spoilery.



Instead, I’ll talk about the experience of getting this book. I preordered it only a couple of months ago. Then, because I really wanted to have it on January 10th, I preordered a copy at Indigo downtown. I went there a little after 10:30, and I checked every copy to see if there was a Hanklerfish left. There wasn’t. I kept the copy they had put aside for me, which had a simple green J Scribble.

I then went to Starbucks to read a little, as I love reading at Starbucks. I ended up reading more than half the book because it was simply amazing. After I was done drinking my coffee, I went back home, where I finished the amazingness that is The Fault in Our Stars. That’s what it is. It is funny, beautiful, heartbreaking and captivating. I simply couldn’t stop reading. It was, in my opinion, his best book. I fell in love with the honesty of the characters, the humor in the dialogs and the beauty of the story. I simply couldn’t get enough.


I had an appointment at 4:00 downtown for the University, so I went back on Ste.Catherines. After that said appointment, I went to Chapters, just to see if they had a Hanklerfish, and YES THEY DID!!! It even had this note in it, left by the girls that gave me the last Hanklerfished copy the store had (Thank you!!). I bought it and I went back home, super excited to be the proud owner of a Hanklerfished copy.


Now, on Monday I realized I forgot to cancel my online order of The Fault in Our Stars, which I received on Tuesday (It had a light blue J Scribble!). So now I have THREE copies!!! And I’m still waiting to receive my audiobook, which my dad bought me online on DFTBA, meaning I will get the copy narrated by John Green <3. I have to wait a little longer, as it will be delivered at my dad's house instead of my apartment.


Here are my three copies with their brothers and sisters <3

What the book is about:

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 
Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 
Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

Now, if you still haven’t read this book, here are the links to listen to the first two chapters, narrated by John Green.
Chapter 1
Chapter 2

If you’ve read it, what did you think of it?

6 comments:

  1. 3 copies?! I'm really looking forward to reading Fault in Our Stars. I've heard amazing this about John Green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They had Hanklerfish at Chapters? Now that really, really makes me jealous! Hehe!
    I haven't finished reading it yet but I'm almost done and it's been amazing so far, but I know tears are coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg you got a Hanklerfish?? Lucky :) And it's funny because I just wrote a post about this and I TOO got a note from a fellow nerdfighter! I love this community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The story is excellently paced and the book is extremely difficult to put down. You will fall in love with the characters. You will laugh. You may cry. And you will smile the whole time. I laughed and cried all the way through, the way John is able to quickly pull the reader in and have us quickly become emotionally invested in all of the characters is beyond amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this on hold at my library --- can't wait to read it! And - nice to read your thoughts on it. :)

    Marlene Detierro (Skagway Fishing Charter)

    ReplyDelete