Friday, January 13, 2012

Review: The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges

Title: The Gathering Storm
Author: Robin Bridges
Series: The Katerina Trilogy Vol. I
Release Date: January 10th, 2012
Number of Pages: 400
Publisher: Delacorte BFYR
Source: NetGalley + Bought
St. Petersburg, Russia, 1888. As she attends a whirl of glittering balls, royal debutante Katerina Alexandrovna, Duchess of Oldenburg, tries to hide a dark secret: she can raise the dead. No one knows. Not her family. Not the girls at her finishing school. Not the tsar or anyone in her aristocratic circle. Katerina considers her talent a curse, not a gift. But when she uses her special skill to protect a member of the Imperial Family, she finds herself caught in a web of intrigue. 
An evil presence is growing within Europe's royal bloodlines—and those aligned with the darkness threaten to topple the tsar. Suddenly Katerina's strength as a necromancer attracts attention from unwelcome sources . . . including two young men—George Alexandrovich, the tsar's standoffish middle son, who needs Katerina's help to safeguard Russia, even if he's repelled by her secret, and the dashing Prince Danilo, heir to the throne of Montenegro, to whom Katerina feels inexplicably drawn.
The time has come for Katerina to embrace her power, but which side will she choose—and to whom will she give her heart?

I was really excited to read this book, once I saw it was on NetGalley. I love the Russian Culture, and I was really curious to see a book set in Russian during the nineteenth century. I wasn’t really expecting that kind of story ( Vampires? Really?) This stopped me a little at first from reading the eARC. The first few chapters were a little slow for me. Still, when it was released, I bought myself a copy of this book. That’s when I really got into the book, and I was really able to enjoy it.

The setting was something that really enchanted me. It thought it really added something to the story. The characters were interesting, but I have to say that the names ended up being hard for me to remember (I don’t remember most of them, which is sad) Katerina was interesting, as she wants more than only the balls and the status. She wanted to do something good: find cures, help save lives… That was nice to see, especially since most of the girls around her were focused on finding a nice husband. Prince Danilo kind of creeped me out a little, and I really liked George Alexandrovich. I can’t wait to see more of him.

I have to say that I really enjoyed the romance we got to see, as it was subtle and realistic. Overall, it was a beautifully crafted novel. I really enjoyed it and I can’t wait to read more from this series. It will please fans of historical novel, and of beautiful paranormal romance. Do not fear, it isn’t a love triangle. It is simply the story of a girl, caught in fight for power bigger than her.

3 comments:

  1. tnx 4 sharingyour thought
    hoping 2 readit soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved the historical setting although the paranormal element wasn't my cup of tea. I just want more historical fiction books in general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Chopard Tremendous The rocks Cube worth's 1. 1 mil cash. This check out been given that label because doing so resembles a the rocks cube. This cubes usually are created from 66 carats cherished gallstones. This tag heuer replica worth's 1. 5 mil cash. check out ever made by means of male. The item involves 834 portions that had been set up with 10, 000 time. This alarm clock possesses a couple looks which might be set some sort of silver cased characters. This Louis moinet Magistralis worth's money 860, 000. That tag heuer replica uk incorporates stuff at a meteorite that had been 2000 yrs . old, possesses some sort of 18 carat silver event. As you're able view the volume of time period of which Omega has become developing special wristwatches states that many it is lasting excellent in addition to creativity. So that you can find the best watch for people, you will discover some key Omega libraries bellow. rolex replica sale worth's money 734, 000. Breguet corporation seemed to be set up 225 in the past in addition to is amongst the most seasoned check out corporations on this planet. The obvious way to spend less with choosing a authentic Rolex or maybe another extravagance check out such as chanel replica, Omega, Patek Phillipe and many others is usually to get hold of a utilised check out. Utilised extravagance wristwatches can be frequently found at some sort of tiny proportion connected with the expense of the latest rolex replica.

    ReplyDelete