Monday, January 23, 2012

Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Title: Everneath           
Author: Brodi Ashton
Series: Everneath #1
Release Date: January 24th, 2012
Number of Pages: 370
Publisher: Balzar + Bray
Source: NetGalley
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.
She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.
Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen. 
As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...
This book was seriously one of the 2012 debut I was the most excited about. I really loved the premise and the cover. That’s why I was dying to read it. Brodi Ashton caught my attention from page one. It was simply captivating. I really enjoy her style, the pace of the book and, of course, the story.

I was told it was a kind of retelling of Hades and Persephone (I actually don’t remember where I read that… sorry), but that’s not how I would describe it. It isn’t the same story at all. Still, I can understand where those who say that come from.

The characters were an important part of this book. Their emotions simply rang so true to the reader that it made the story addicting. First, Nikki was a nice main character, yet I wish she was willing to stand up a little more for what she wants. I know that what she went through made a huge impact, and that Cole is there breathing sown her shoulder, but I still wish she could have believe that she could be with Jack. Jack, of course, I adored him. He was simply a great, strong and interesting character. I really wanted what was best for him, what he really wanted. Now, Cole really creeped me out. I didn’t find him attractive, or great. He was a nice villain though. That part of him I liked. I simply couldn’t picture him as any kind of love interest for Nikki, even though he wanted her.

Overall, this book made me addicted from page one. I devoured it in one sitting, only to leave me hoping for me. The next can’t come fast enough.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds great! I love the cover and I'm glad that the contents seem equally as great! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this one. There's nothing better than an addictive read! Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like there have been a number of Hades/Persephone retellings lately. I am excited to read this one. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karl Lagerfeld's Chanel is a brand that creates spectacle like no other. Not many designers' clothes could stand up to a space shuttle launch inside Paris's Grand Palais, which is what the brand did at the end of its Tuesday replica handbags uk show. In the past, though, Chanel has gone as far as to chip off and ship in a giant chunk of actual glacier, though, so the brand's design tiffany outlet department was more than able to rise to the occasion. As the rocket suggests, Chanel's Fall 2017 collection was themed around outer space, although the celestial references were far less literal in the clothes and bags than they have been in gucci replica recent work. There was a clutch shaped like a rocket, of course, but that's a longstanding brand tradition. The most unusual runway bags were a series of mulberry replica backpacks in tweed and metallic nylon; other than them, the collection didn't stray beyond the brand's usual bounds, which will likely be a welcome development for Chanel's many fans.

    ReplyDelete