Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Review: Switched by Amanda Hocking


Title: Switched
Author: Amanda Hocking
Series: Trylle Trilogy #1
Release Date: January 3rd, 2012
Number of Pages: 293
Publisher: St.Martin’s Griffin
Source: Bought
When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - a world both beautiful and frightening, and Wendy's not sure she wants to be a part of it.

This book really made me curious. Trolls? Changeling? That caught my attention. I still wasn’t really sure about what to expect about this book. It is one the most successful self-published book, but still, I feared that all the hyped would make my expectation too high. Fortunately, I found it to be excellent. It was nicely written and captivating from the very start.

The world really intrigued me. Trolls that don’t look like the classic trolls? That was original. I love the entire world she created, the whole history and traditions of there culture. The characters were a nice aspect of the novel, but it wasn’t what I found to be the strongest. The strongest was the world for me.

I find myself torn when it comes down to Wendy. I find myself both liking her and being annoyed by her. I wish she had fought a little more for what she wanted, for whom she wanted to be with. On the other side, I felt she was a great narrator, as she sounded honest and true. Her human family (other than her mother) really was charming. They were amazing, especially her brother. Now, Finn, on the other hand, annoyed me at first, because he was clearly acting both really nice or like an ass. He liked her, that much was clear. I understood why he couldn’t tell her, but still! She liked him and so did he. The real mother really annoyed me. She was so cold, which is understandable for a queen. Yet, I can’t like her.

Overall, this was a fast paces novel that kept me addicted from page one. I can’t wait to read the sequel, as it is coming soon. 

3 comments:

  1. I really want to get this one, I keep hearing great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really surprised when I learned this was about trolls. I recently read Hollowland, and whilst I didn't love it, I did quite like Amanda's style so I'll probably give this one a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trolls really don't seem to be covered that often. So this looks good. I already had Hollowland, and I picked up Switched at a signing a few weeks ago. Looks like it's something I would like. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete