Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Review: Someone Else's Life


Title: Someone Else’s Life
Author: Katie Dale
Series: None
Release Date: February 14th, 2012
Number of Pages: 512
Publisher: Delacorte books for Young Readers
Souce: NetGalley
When 17-year-old Rosie's mother, Trudie, dies from Huntington's Disease, her pain is intensified by the knowledge that she has a fifty percent chance of inheriting the crippling disease herself. Only when Rosie tells her mother's best friend, "Aunt Sarah," that she is going to test for the disease does Sarah, a midwife, reveal that Trudie wasn't her real mother after all. Rosie was swapped at birth with a sickly baby who was destined to die. 
Devastated, Rosie decides to trace her real mother, joining her ex-boyfriend on his gap year travels, to find her birth mother in California. But all does not go as planned. As Rosie discovers yet more of her family's deeply buried secrets and lies, she is left with an agonizing decision of her own, one which will be the most heart breaking and far-reaching of all.
I was quite surprised by this book. It wasn’t that I wasn’t expecting to really enjoy it (I really couldn’t wait to read it, based on the premises). It was more that the story itself kept me guessing. I was expecting the story to go one way and BAM, Katie Dale made Rosie’s life and Rosie’s choices a lot harder. That’s one of the thing that I loved about this book. It surprised me so many times.

One of the main aspects of the book is the Huntington’s. It wasn’t something I had heard of before, so I did appreciate that Katie Dale took the time to explain what it was, without it sounding out of place. That information was well incorporate to the story.  That disease is simply terrifying, if you think of it. Other than already having been through the pain of seeing her mother die, now she may have 50/50 chance of suffering from it, well, if she was her biological daughter.

Rosie’s character broke my heart. It is unimaginable all the pain she must have gone through, first by losing her mother, and then learning that her mother, Trudie, isn’t her real mother. After all, it was like she lost her all over again. That’s one of the reason why I could understand why Rosie wanted to go through everything she did, to find her real mother. She needed answer, and she needed something to make go on. She just lost the woman who raised her, only to learn that her life was based on a lie her “Aunt” Sarah created. Still, Andy was one of the characters that really surprised me. I find it hard to believe he stood by her through so much, as she wasn’t always that honest with him. Of course, there are other characters that stood out for me. Yet, I can’t really talk about them without giving away too much, so I guess you will have to discover them on your on.

Katie Dale really impressed me with this novel. Even though it is a pretty lengthy novel, I read it in a matter of hours, because I simply couldn’t put it down. It was beautifully written, and the emotions simply kept me reading, as I was hoping thing would finally get better for Rosie and the others.

Someone else’s life is a novel I would definitely recommend to fan of contemporary.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading through your review! It sounds like a really touching story! I will definitely have to check it out when I am in the Contemp mood!

    Tess @ My Pathway to Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so definitely going to read this book. The premise interested me, but I'm glad to know it's recommended. I've never really heard of Huntington's Disease and I'm curious to learn more about it. I like that the book surprised you- I don't like overly simply, obvious plots.

    Great review!

    -P.E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really glad to see you're enjoying this as I'm reading it right now! Great review from you, it's good that you really felt for Rose (what she goes through seems awful) as I love it when you really bond with an MC

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girls set in place tastes subsequently after tastes globally by their high class and additionally chanel replica bags precious jewelry. Ever since muscle mass fast supplements ordinarily are not designed for most of the gorgeous attitude various girls, if he does not each, utilize customized gear that they can quite often monitor located at specialized circumstances. Then again, girls yet use tons of cash relating to specialty usually devices, come to be individuals established or possibly high class. All the keep an eye on device is to be in line with most of the attitude and additionally most of the trend given that the garmets and therefore the gear from the music artist legally represent logos which usually benefit generate a noteworthy snapshot for the own singer on the common eye ball. louis vuitton replica, Artist has found out various beautiful artists which usually provide customized devices for those recognized artists for the night-life enterprise, for that reason girls create ones own trend. The most well liked number of on the U . s showbiz is a latest Victoria and additionally He hublot replica, consistent with stylists in many countries, so, who cheer most of the cut attribute and additionally gorgeous gear. All the an ancient Piquancy Children customer has not refused him / her Classy nickname, most definitely a lot more she's only just got a fabulous specialty hublot replica sale by means of usually encrusted face and additionally alligator rolex replica sale. For my child his conversation, she's targeted a fabulous multifunctional clock representing get rid of take silicone group of musicians and quite enough stones in the face.

    ReplyDelete