Monday, January 16, 2012

Review: Fracture by Megan Miranda

Title: Fracture
Author: Megan Miranda
Series: None
Release Date: January 17th, 2012
Number of Pages: 264
Publisher: Walker & Company
Source: NetGalley
Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine
—despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?
Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?
For fans of best-sellers like Before I Fall and If I Stay, this is a fascinating and heart-rending story about love and friendship and the fine line between life and death.

This book wasn’t what I expected. Well, I don’t even know what I expected. Still, I ended up really enjoying it and reading it in only a couple of hours. It was a little creepier than I expected, mostly because of Troy… He seemed so creepy and unstable. Even the moment he met Delaney felt strange to me, as he seemed to know her more than he should normally do, as they never have met.

Delaney was really great. I really enjoyed reading from her point of view, as she seemed to be dealing with the strange circumstances of her accident (mostly the fact that she spent 11 minutes underwater and survived) Decker was really the character that I liked the most. He was just so there for her. I loved the reaction he had when she fell in the water. I think that if I had seen it, I would have been heartbreaking for him as much as I would be terrified for Delaney.

The writing was really great. It can be sometime hard to write the human mind, as we are kind of complicated being, but she did it well. It didn’t felt wrong, nor did it feel unrealistic.

1 comment:

  1. it wasn't what I expected as well. I really liked it, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete