Friday, January 06, 2012

Review: Ditched: A Love Story by Robin Mellom


Title: Ditched: A Love Story
Author: Robin Mellom
Series: None
Release Date: January 10th, 2012
Number of Pages: 288
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Source: NtGalley
High school senior Justina Griffith was never the girl who dreamed of going to prom. Designer dresses and strappy heels? Not her thing. So she never expected her best friend, Ian Clark, to ask her.
Ian, who always passed her the baseball bat handle first.
Ian, who knew exactly when she needed red licorice.
Ian, who promised her the most amazing night at prom.
And then ditched her.
Now, as the sun rises over her small town, and with only the help of some opinionated ladies at the 7-Eleven, Justina must piece together — stain by stain on her thrift-store dress — exactly how she ended up dateless. A three-legged Chihuahua was involved. Along with a demolition derby-ready Cadillac. And there was that incident at the tattoo parlor. Plus the flying leap from Brian Sontag's moving car...
But to get the whole story, Justina will have to face the boy who ditched her. And discover if losing out at prom can ultimately lead to true love.
Filled with humor, charm, and romance, Ditched: A Love Story by debut novelist Robin Mellom will have readers dreaming of love on their own prom nights.

I was a little uncertain about this book. It seemed like a really fluffy and funny book, but I still feared it would be a really superficial story. In the end, I did enjoy it. It was simply fun, entertaining and it got me laughing from beginning to end.

Now, there was one main thing that slightly annoyed me. Justina was such a mess, sometime in a funny way, but sometime in a “I’m gonna really punch you if you keep acting this stupid. Seriously.” Way. She simply jumped to conclusion so fast. She also was a little over the place. Ian was always so sweet and so nice with her, yet she can’t seem to trust him. I really thought Ian was an amazing guy, to amazing for her at some point. He was a little too amazing some time, making him a little almost too unrealistic, but I still enjoy reading about him.

The story was simply fun and cute. I love all the hell Justina was put through, simply because she created most of it by not trusting Ian. That’s simply nice to see a character being put through this kind of prom hell when they are the one creating the mess. Everything that happens to her is hilarious, well from an outside perspective. It reminded me of a sitcom.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. Yes, it wasn’t perfect, but it was a great light and fun read. I really enjoyed it, and I can’t wait to read more from Robin Mellom.
            

4 comments:

  1. Sounds cute. Love the review. The way Justina sounds though makes me already understand why you felt why you wanted to punch her at times. Never heard of this one before, thanks for bringing to to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this book not to long ago and i really enjoyed it. I agree with you there was times in the book were i just sat there yelling at her basically throughout the whole book! Plus yes Ian was incredible he really really was. You wrote an awesome review i'd love it if you can check out my review for it up on my blog under the review page =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! This book is sounds so cute. Hopefully, the "I wanna punch you" feeling doesn't happen to me to much when I read it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also uncertain about this book but after reading your review, I might check it out when it comes out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete