Monday, January 30, 2012

Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire


Title: Hourglass
Author: Myra McEntire
Series: Hourglass
Release Date: June 14th, 2012
Number of Pages: 400
Publisher: Edgemont USA
Source: Bought
One hour to rewrite the past . . .
For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.
So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.
Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?
Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.
I simply can’t believe this book has been on one of my shelves for this long. Wow. I was nicely pleased with this book. I thought I would simply start this book before going to work, as I had an hour to kill at Starbucks. This was seriously a mistake. Why? Because I didn’t want to put this book down. I came back home at 10:00pm and I kept on reading this book until I was done. It didn’t matter I was working the next morning. I had to read this book. I had to know what would happen next!

The story Myra McEntire wrote was simply beautifully crafted. It was captivating and nicely written. She created characters that were able to keep us guessing, to keep us entertained.

Emerson was really great. I love how she was able to deal with the rips before she met Michael, even though it probably wasn't fun for her. I would have gone crazy with that (imagine seeing some kind of ghosts, which of course aren’t seen by anyone else.)

Her brother and his wife were so sweet. I find Emerson really lucky to have a sibling like him. He was just always there for her, even though he had his own life, his own wife. His wife was so nice with Emerson. There was also Lily that I though Em was lucky to have. She was simply there for her, no matter what happened in the past.

Now, there’s Michael. Wow. He made me swoon and he made me so angry at the same time. I wasn’t always sure what were his intentions. Yet, it was clear that he felt something for Emerson. That’s one of the reason I like him that much. All the little things that happened before those two during the novel. I really liked him, and I really liked with Emerson.

Now, the last character I want to talk about, it’s Kaleb. I loved him! I can’t wait to read Timepiece, as he will narrate it. He simply made me laugh, especially when we saw a little bit of Kaleb-Emerson-Michael interaction.

Myra McEntire really made me fall in love with her series. I’m now dying to read the sequel, so I can know what will happen next to her amazing characters!

8 comments:

  1. I saw this a lot when it first came out and wanted to read it... and then just never did! You have inspired me to put it on hold at my library :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read and reviewed this one a couple weeks ago...loved it!! Great review :)
    Jessi @ Auntie Spinelli Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this one. But by your review it sounds amazing! I definitely need to look into it. Amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Hourglass and I'm glad to see you enjoyed it as well. Kaleb is definitely my favorite character and I'm so excited to hear Timepiece is from his perspective. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen this book around lately, it seems that I will be making an extra trip to the library this week! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a really good book (and the cover is awesome). Great review (: Thanks for stopping by at my blog, I hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't realize that Kaleb was narrating the second book; not sure how I feel about that since I really like Emerson and want to continue following her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the Homeowner Promaster More detail Meter Chronograph is normally created specifically just for huge coastal brazilian hair sale. Aside from the lesson and additionally very small grip, this approach keep an eye on boasts a other grip just for varied works. The software processes in the form of fall timer, a fabulous more detail measurement and additionally wide variety wildlife reserve hint. The most important two works really are evidently plunging affiliated. At the same time relating to secure, the middle grip on your Homeowner Promaster More detail Meter Chronograph processes as being a definite hint just for electric batteries wildlife reserve. All the guns and therefore the mitts all the keep an eye on are up against really are luminescent although the lawsuit consists of potent stainless-steel. Paid for by means of anti-reflective painted very, all the Homeowner Promaster More detail Meter Chronograph stands up certainly to big surprise and additionally jolts about huge coastal plunging. An alternative best and newest introduction certainly is the Homeowner Promaster Green Desire Satellite direct tv Wave-Air. Stirred through fabulous visual appearance for the globe's panoramas right from aeroplanes, this approach futuristic Homeowner skyhawk titanium keep an eye on is normally new along with the best and newest complex solutions and additionally a modern type. It consists of potent detectors for a computer compass and additionally altimeter that permits real brazilian hair uk just for more detail, distance off the ground and additionally area. Inside the kick from the button in the software, all the keep an eye on gives you many different weights while doing so plus the effort.

    ReplyDelete